Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

I'm using a pair of these. They talk to each other and create a right and left channel, so it sounds pretty good:

https://www.theoontz.com/oontz-angle...etooth-speaker

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I'm using a pair of these. They talk to each other and create a right and left channel, so it sounds pretty good:

https://www.theoontz.com/oontz-angle...etooth-speaker
    yea, that's nice.

From Philpott's 2020 SHTP thread: "The kicker: Greg Nelsen agreed to make him an emergency rudder."

So here we go. Today Greg made a mock-up of the lower support for the cassette. With levels in all planes, I was glad we'd leveled out the boat first!

Name:  Mockup.JPG
Views: 1301
Size:  472.6 KB

Some people deal in debits and credits while others like to play with epoxy. Greg counted out the minutes until it kicked, and was spot on!

Name:  Greg Epoxy.JPG
Views: 1319
Size:  867.6 KB

In the lower-left corner of this photo is a choice to be made: Carbon tubes or SS? I chose carbon because it's for Surprise!

15 years ago, Greg built the emergency rudder for Ragtime! It's fun to be doing this project with him again, for another boat.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-09-2020 at 10:09 PM.

A gale warning was posted this morning so our BYC race was cancelled. Surprise! has to settle for second place in the double-handed division, having lost her opportunity to beat Zenaida in the final race. Congrat's to Fred and Jennifer, and a big thanks to Philpott who raced with me in November and to Rob Tryon who raced with me in the December and January races.

I also need to decide where to mount the control head, since it would be hard to drive the boat from the lazarette!
    Before I went home I installed the control head for the Simrad/Pelagic backup AP, so that system is now complete. There was a disconnected analog fuel gauge in that spot, always reading empty. It bugged me. Also, the E-dock collective agreed that having the control head by the tiller might be nice when trying to switch pilots. So that's where it went.

Name:  Control Head 1.JPG
Views: 1163
Size:  119.4 KBName:  Control Head 2.JPG
Views: 1197
Size:  86.1 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-10-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Levels on the e-rudder brackets!...why didn't I think of that!!!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

The old inverter/charger had a remote panel mounted below the main electrical panel. Removing it left a big hole. I thought about covering the hole with one of those nautical plaques: "Marriages performed by the Captain are valid only for the duration of the voyage." But a sub-panel for the new autopilot switches (plus a couple spares) was a more useful way to fill the hole. Chuck (the PO) had made two product videos aboard Surprise!, describing the modular panels available from Blue Sea Systems. I went back to Blue Seas and ordered a small DC sub-panel. Rob did his usual nice job of installing and wiring it, using a matching trim piece from TAP Plastics:

Name:  New Sub-Panel.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  503.3 KB

This weekend's project was to convert the other secondary/halyard winch to make it powered. I'd installed a powered winch on the other side months ago and thought I knew what I was doing, but this one presented new challenges. The installation options are limited by the location of the existing winch, since it's bolted through a molded base. On the underside, the motor and gearbox can be rotated in 45 degree steps but this is limited by headroom and aesthetics. The other side had a lot more clearance - this one barely fit into the available corner. But it turned out well and I won't bang my head on it. I'm still in the hunt for some nice teak boxes to finish the job. Does anyone spot another possible installation issue in the photos?

Name:  Port Winch 1.JPG
Views: 1189
Size:  118.5 KBName:  Port Winch 2.JPG
Views: 1242
Size:  121.8 KBName:  Port Winch 3.JPG
Views: 1194
Size:  47.4 KB

At the Three Bridge Fiasco skipper's meeting, Jim spent a few minutes talking about the rules concerning powered winches. Here's a quick overview. RRS Rule 52 says you can't use them (Rule 52 concerns stored energy). However this rule can be modified in the NOR for particular races to allow their use. This modification was made by the SSS (in NOR 1.c.iii.), OYRA (in NOR 1.7) and Berkeley Yacht Club for its Midwinters (in SI 1.3). In each case, the local Rule 52 modifications require that the powered winches be declared in the boat's PHRF application and considered in its rating. This was done last year on Surprise!'s PHRF certificate.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-17-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Does anyone spot another possible installation issue in the photos?
    Apart from the electromagnet (motor) in close proximity to your compass? no.
    DH

Bingo! Perhaps I should have a contest to determine how I should fill that hole!

Since the winch motor ended up on the side away from the compass, I thought I'd test it first. I have my doubts.

Not much to report (it's tax time) but I just had a grand revelation:

Since all the money I've spent on this boat came out of the market before it crashed, it's like I just got a 15-20% discount on all those boat parts.

amIright?