Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

Just so you think I didn’t notice... the tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    No change to reefs, windex added, sail numbers changed, box for second batten replaced (improving tension).
    There are a few other changes that Sled's sharp eyes will probably spot.
    You think we'd not notice the shiny, clean rigging? I like the new reef tack line, hopefully adjustable from the cockpit..Can't see if you solved the lack of telltale window in the jib by buying a new jib..but it also looks pretty shiny. And, Lordy, there's an asymmetrical spinnaker! I thought we discussed this is a cruising boat you bought Good to see (from the mast shadow) you haven't ditched the mizzen yet.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-06-2018 at 07:29 PM.

No more mold on the spreaders - they were stripped and repainted, with jib sheeting stripes added. Many areas on the mast and boom were cleaned and repainted as well. Headstay, backstay and caps are rod, lowers and mids are 1x19. Speaking of 1x19, the plastic-coated lifelines were replaced and attached to the bow pulpit at 24" height. This was possible because the Hoyt jib boom is now gone.

A sharp eye would notice that the main is fully hoisted. With its old SK-75 halyard, the main sagged down like a bad pair of socks. The only running rigging that hasn't been replaced (yet) is the vang tail and the traveler lines. The traveler car was serviced however, along with the jib furler and backstay adjuster.

What you think is a reef tack line are actually stowable lazy jacks. They attach out on the spreaders to clear the sail better on hoists, then they stow up against the mast.

To run the spinnaker smoothly, another pair of cockpit winches were added. Those on Faceplant know about that project (it was the first one I did).

Yes, the mizzen abides, although a couple folks have suggested that lawn chairs would be a better use of the stern area. A fun fact: That spinnaker is the first one I bought for Rags, nearly 16 years ago. It was designed when super-long luffs for A2s were the rage - how convenient!

The above is just the rigging stuff - here's a teaser:

Name:  Berth Light2.JPG
Views: 1618
Size:  538.7 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-07-2018 at 07:35 AM.

But then there's this project. "It's not all fun-and-games."

Name:  New Tank.JPG
Views: 1490
Size:  681.5 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-21-2018 at 01:37 AM.

You have a HOLDING TANK? Like, a flushing head aboard? Wow. You have definitely hit the big time. Not that DM needs anything more than the perfectly adequate, relatively new porta pottie on its own little pedestal. But still. I'm impressed. When can we all come try it out?

When we're >3nm offshore.

Nice replated, or new cabin lights...Did you convert to LEDs?

Yes - much brighter and of course, way less draw. The red LED bulbs for the dome lights came yesterday.

Except for dealing with the stinky holding tank, I'm having fun. She goes into the yard after Sunday's race.

That sure is one pretty boat.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

About to be hauled out for KKMI's ministrations, including some color changes. Doesn't she look better without the goofy thing on her foredeck?

Name:  Before Haulout.JPG
Views: 1425
Size:  2.14 MB
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-21-2018 at 01:20 AM.