Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

The new main arrived yesterday. The full-length battens are hard to spot = smooth!

It took some fiddling but all the reefs work properly. The third reef is SER-compliant. An overhead leech cord allows adjustment from the mast. Now to go sail with it...

Name:  No Reefs.JPG
Views: 1273
Size:  691.4 KBAttachment 4883Attachment 4884Name:  Third Reef.JPG
Views: 1358
Size:  815.2 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-27-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Huh?

"The third reef is SER-compliant"

No lo comprende.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

For those unfamiliar with "SER", it stands for "Safety Equipment Requirements."

SHTP SER 3.33.1 states: "A boat shall have mainsail reefing capable of reducing the luff length by at least 40%​ OR carry a trysail, with the boat's sail number displayed on both sides, which can be set independently of the main boom, has an area less than 17.5% of E x P, and which is capable of being attached to the mast. Storm sails manufactured after 01/01/2014 shall be constructed from a highly visible material." ​

The full SHTP SERs can be found here: http://sfbaysss.org/main/wp-content/...SER_011718.pdf

SER 3.33.1 is also a requirement for LongPac.

My 2 cents: As we know, trysails can be expensive, often impractical unless a second mast track or gate is fitted, and seldom if ever used by boats racing towards Hawaii. Thus the option of reducing the luff length of the main by 40% as in SER 3.33.1 as BobJ has chosen with the third reef on SURPRISE!.

3.33.1 does not preclude taking both a trysail, and having a deep (40%) reef. Some serious offshore boats have more than 3 reefs, and > 40%. If conditions warrant, an alternate to a trysail or 4th reef is dropping the main. This discussion has been going on since the 19th century. Each boat, skipper, offshore route, and weather encountered is different.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-22-2019 at 04:00 PM.

I had Marchal sailmakers add a third reef to Nightmare's main to comply with SER 3.33.1
    Nice job and reasonably priced.

LongPac 2019 was the only time I considered using it, though swapping down to a #4 jib would have been first.

Nice sail Bob!
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 11-22-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Skip!

comprehension dawns

I got a secondhand main which is in reasonable shape, though VERY deep. it has two reefs. I'm going to have either Synthia (if she wants to) or Joe at Leading Edge add a pretty deep cunningham and a 3rd reef point, probably next year.

My "bay racing main" just has one deep reef point.

As promised in post #171 - a fun new A2! This should round out the sail inventory.

Photo by Philpott! !

Name:  New A2 2.JPG
Views: 1055
Size:  129.0 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-24-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Wonderful !

!
    Nice, Bob!

With the possibility of having only 1 sail, I could get jealous. Pat ;-)

Surprise! lists to port. I suspect this was to allow for a full ice box, possibly a refrigeration system and a bunch of crap in the cockpit locker, which are all on the starboard side. She also squats in the stern as Ragtime! did. My solution with Rags was to move the house bank forward. On this cold, rainy holiday weekend I'm ruminating about doing the same thing on Surprise! There's room for the batteries in the bottom of the hanging locker, on the starboard side near the mast.

I did a highly-scientific test: My dock neighbor, who weighs about the same as the house bank, stood at the starboard shrouds. That leveled the boat right out! The batteries would sit lower in the boat and not as far outboard, but I'd be removing that weight from port, aft and adding it to starboard, forward, which in very round figures would double the effect.

I considered the possible amperage and circuit length to determine the battery cables I'd need. I'd leave the starting battery aft near the engine so the highest sustained amperage is from the electric halyard winch, which (I recently discovered) can trip a 50 amp breaker. (Lewmar recommends 90 amps!) I estimate I'd need 2/0 cables about 22' long.

The cables would have to run across the bilge so I checked the CFRs (USCG) and found nothing. I'd have to purchase the ABYC standards - does anyone know what they say about this?

It gets more complicated (of course!) The ACR/shunt etc. is back there with the starting battery and I don't want to move that stuff.

Comments/suggestions welcomed!

Name:  Hanging Locker 3.JPG
Views: 3033
Size:  439.8 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-01-2019 at 01:51 PM.