Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
In an earlier life, I lived aboard with propane stoves for 20+ years. I highly recommend the FireBoy S-2A propane monitor / controller with MS-2 propane sensor mounted low under the the stove. As an unplanned test, one time I was using some spray foam which I subsequently learned uses propane as its propellant. It set off the sniffer alarm.
Good sailing friends were recently camping in the New Mexico desert, 50 miles from the nearest town. It was cold, and early in the morning Robbie got out of bed and lit the stove in their pickup truck camper. Apparently there had been a leak overnight, maybe from the rough road, and there was a terrific explosion. Fortunately Robbie had on a lot of clothes and a watch cap. Still, her jacket caught fire, as did her hair. She ran outside where the door had been and shed her clothes and put out the fire in her hair.
She is recovering, but has a burned face and hands. Luckily her eyes are OK. Her partner in the overcab bunk was OK, but the force of the explosion separated the roof from the sides of the camper. Word to the wise. Thanks, Tom!