Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

Either that or Chapter 13 - whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Either that or Chapter 13 - whichever comes first.
    I literally laughed out loud when you first posted that. But it is sobering to think what this involves. Like the old saw, "I had a lot of money and spent most of it on boats and [your choice of other folly here]. The rest I just pissed away."

As I think about what it will take to get Morning Star ready for another ocean crossing, it is good to know that under Chapter 13, if you make your plan payments, you get to keep your boat.
    Last edited by AZ Sailor; 12-15-2018 at 05:03 PM.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Don't use Hydrocoat if you ever want to get it off. It's hard as nails, doesn't work, and you can't put another paint over it.
    Ooh, good to know. I used Petit Trinidad and have been happy with it. Haul out scheduled for Jan 2019. As far as the head is concerned, when I replaced the hoses, there was simply no more smell. Calcium build up and fluid remaining in the lines are the problems. Weekly vinegar flush is da rule now. No more kidding about Chapter 13, ok? 2017 was the closest to bankruptcy I ever got in my life...

Trinidad is one of the good ones. Micron 66 is the other, according to the hull divers around here. S! is getting painted with green Micron 66 - maybe this week - I hope!

The head is fresh water flush so with a new tank and new hoses it should be daisy fresh. The rest of the parts arrive tomorrow and I can put it back together. Then as Philpott suggested, y'all can line up and test it out!

I am so pathetically over budget with this boat...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Ooh, good to know. I used Petit Trinidad and have been happy with it. Haul out scheduled for Jan 2019. As far as the head is concerned, when I replaced the hoses, there was simply no more smell. Calcium build up and fluid remaining in the lines are the problems. Weekly vinegar flush is da rule now. No more kidding about Chapter 13, ok? 2017 was the closest to bankruptcy I ever got in my life...
    I have Hydrocoat on the Wildcat and interestingly enough, it's worn off at the waterline around the bow. Everything else is still black with paint, from what I can see, and it's been almost two years. Whether it really keeps a lot of growth off, I dunno but seems like.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I checked on Surprise! on my way home from work (Richmond is between Concord and Benicia, right?) Her bum is as smooth as a baby's butt and ready for primer. She also has new sail covers, thanks to Tom and Debra at Cover Craft. Hopefully she's been absorbing some racing mojo from her cousin, the Express 37 Elan, on her port side.

Name:  Bottom 121818 1.JPG
Views: 1379
Size:  2.61 MB
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-18-2018 at 10:49 PM.

(Prior post deleted.) Here's what that corner looks like with the floorboard and trim in place. The speedo housing is in the right-hand corner, under the floorboard.

Name:  Floorboard.JPG
Views: 2211
Size:  830.1 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-02-2019 at 02:40 PM.

How thick is the floorboard? Can you router out some space and a groove underneath for the wire? I know that it's a new transducer but I think Airmar makes some that have the wires going out the side instead of top.

Thanks Jonathan. It's 3/4" plywood. The problem with routing a groove is that the wire can't be bent down that much. I'm thinking I need to cut a 6x6 square out of the corner of the floorboard and build a shallow, removable box over it, just tall enough to accommodate the wire. The box will be tucked up in the corner so it shouldn't get kicked too much. I need to be able to get that section out of the way because there's no water gate in the housing. Lots of water will flow in when I switch between the speedo insert and the blanking plug.

This is where quality race component meets pretty cruising interior. On Rags I wouldn't have cared what it looked like... okay, I would have... but you get the idea.
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-29-2018 at 10:31 AM.

I need to be able to pull it out and replace it with the blanking plug when I'm not sailing.
    OK, I'll show off my ignorance here: why are you pulling the speed sender and replacing it with the blanking plug when not sailing?
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32