Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

Hi Bob, LD here. I'm not an expert by any means but there are a couple of things to consider. First, the age of the original wood. Older boats often have wood that's basically rain forest timber (even veneers) as opposed to plantation wood. I've seen newer teak that has very different color (and grain) than much older teak. Secondly, it's likely that the original wood has been sun bleached over the years. It's totally up to you whether refinishing the entire cabin and staining the old teak to match the new would be worth it (wouldn't be to me!). Like I said, not an expert so hopefully someone else has a more optimistic suggestion!

PS: Rob says you might try thinning the varnish by 50% for a lighter look. OR use a synthetic like Cetol or Semco in the right shade (maybe clear?). Since it's inside, you might even be able to get away with poly in clear to keep it as light as possible.

Hi LD. The aft face of the cabin trunk, where I'm installing the boxes, is teak-veneered plywood. The material I bought to make the boxes is solid teak - so you're right on with your suggestion. You're also right that I'll not be refinishing the entire cabin to match the new boxes. I'm obsessing a bit over my new ride but not THAT much!

As Rob suggested, I'll thin the varnish when I re-apply the first coat. But I'll hit the dark areas of the new pieces with more bleach first since it seems to be working.

It's great to hear from you guys!
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-14-2021 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It's great to hear from you guys!
    +1 I had been wondering what was up since the announcement that you had moved out of your boat ...

It's time to meet with our favorite marine textile engineer, maybe in Drake's Bay. I'm thinking about soft covers for the winch motors/gearboxes, with some padding inside for occasional encounters with noggins.

I installed the instrument covers yesterday. Here's the before and after:

Name:  Stbd Before.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  108.2 KB Name:  Stbd After.JPG
Views: 465
Size:  83.7 KB Name:  Port Before.JPG
Views: 481
Size:  88.9 KB Name:  Port After.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  107.2 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-15-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Looks great Bob!
    Nice work!

It's time to meet with our favorite marine textile engineer, maybe in Drake's Bay. I'm thinking about soft covers for the winch motors/gearboxes, with some padding inside for occasional encounters with noggins.
    It's been awhile since I've made padded underbelly winch covers, so I remember the results but I don't remember the process. I'll be happy to raft-up in Drakes Bay for a look. Maybe I'll even bring some patterning paper to play paper dolls while you cook dinner for us!!
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

They're each 6-1/2" wide, 12-1/2" long and about 4-1/2" deep (top to bottom).

As to cooking dinner for us, you're taking your life into your hands. I'm told Dave may try to catch a fish on the way up so he has something to eat, and I'm supposed to bring something called wasabi.

True story: A former GF made me an apron (this was about 1982) that said "Specialties of the House: Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Frozen Fish Patties." I married Connie instead because she could cook.

As to cooking dinner for us, you're taking your life into your hands. I'm told Dave may try to catch a fish on the way up so he has something to eat, and I'm supposed to bring something called wasabi.

True story: A former GF made me an apron (this was about 1982) that said "Specialties of the House: Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Frozen Fish Patties." I married Connie instead because she could cook.
    Sounds great! I'll bring the pickled ginger

True story: I use my house smoke detector as a cooking timer.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    True story: I use my house smoke detector as a cooking timer.
    Makes perfect sense!

There's some back-channeling going on about this. I speculated that you aren't a vegetarian because you drink beer and Sailor Jerry's. So maybe I'll clean up the little Weber camping grill and do hamburgers on the fantail.

And Dave must not read the forum - he hasn't cancelled yet.

Synthia, has Bob mentioned that his stove won't start and he has no utensils? It's true, though, that his cabinetry is lovely.