Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

It's been a couple of weeks. I could write about replacing the missing spindle sleeve in one of the mainsheet winches, or replacing the inoperative engine room light, or getting a bunch of meter readings so Blue Sea could replace the panel display, or more about the cabin sole project. But I won't do that. I'll just post a photo from last weekend, taken by Howard Elfant from the Olson 911 Sea Ya, of Surprise! sailing on a stunning, mostly-empty Bay:

Name:  From SeaYa 3.jpeg
Views: 799
Size:  494.3 KB

[QUOTE=BobJ;26336] sailing on a stunning, mostly-empty Bay:

Oh yeah. That's what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It's been a couple of weeks. I could write about replacing the missing spindle sleeve in one of the mainsheet winches, or replacing the inoperative engine room light, or getting a bunch of meter readings so Blue Sea could replace the panel display, or more about the cabin sole project. But I won't do that. I'll just post a photo from last weekend, taken by Howard Elfant from the Olson 911 Sea Ya, of Surprise! sailing on a stunning, mostly-empty Bay:

Name:  From SeaYa 3.jpeg
Views: 799
Size:  494.3 KB
    That IS why we do this....

wonderful
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I'm making progress with the cabin sole. Fits and starts - the first board took as long to sand as all the others (in the photo) combined.

The dark finish is all removed and I'm looking at clean, raw teak. It's a thin veneer but it looks great. The next step is to get some bleach (oxalic acid) and lighten up a few dark spots. I don't know what to do about the light blotch on the one board. It seems to be a softer area of wood that acted differently from all the rest. It's not sanded any deeper, it is just softer and a lighter color. Because of the softer wood, I burned through the holly stripe a bit and I doubt there's a way to fix that. Suggestions welcome.

Dave Pressley (another E-dock e-regular) has been a big help. We've discussed the coating options and I'm currently leaning towards West System with their 207 clear hardener. Again, suggestions welcome. I really don't want to do this project again for awhile. The boards in the photo are less than a quarter of the cabin sole.

It's a lot of work but I just couldn't bring myself to put that vinyl stuff in Surprise!

Name:  Cabin Sole Boards.JPG
Views: 1049
Size:  626.6 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-16-2020 at 11:05 PM.

I have teak slats on the cockpit seats. Sanding and bleaching are yearly jobs at the very least. I used to mix the powder and water to create the oxalic acid, but have switched to using FSR from Davis (the blue goo), because it hangs better on my cockpit grate, and there is no mixing involved.
    If you bleach around the light spot, it may lessen in contrast?

Nice work!

Likely that spot was bleached from something spilling on it.

Might try a bit of oil based stain to darken the teak area.

Tedious work with a small brush.

Not sure what do do with the holly strip. Maybe paint.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I'm making progress with the cabin sole. Fits and starts - the first board took as long to sand as all the others (in the photo) combined.

The dark finish is all removed and I'm looking at clean, raw teak. It's a thin veneer but it looks great. The next step is to get some bleach (oxalic acid) and lighten up a few dark spots. I don't know what to do about the light botch on the one board. It seems to be a softer area of wood that acted differently from all the rest. It's not sanded any deeper, it is just softer and a lighter color. Because of the softer wood, I burned through the holly stripe a bit and I doubt there's a way to fix that. Suggestions welcome.

Dave Pressley (another E-dock e-regular) has been a big help. We've discussed the coating options and I'm currently leaning towards West System with their 207 clear hardener. Again, suggestions welcome. I really don't want to do this project again for awhile. The boards in the photo are less than a quarter of the cabin sole.

It's a lot of work but I just couldn't bring myself to put that vinyl stuff in Surprise!

Name:  Cabin Sole Boards.JPG
Views: 1049
Size:  626.6 KB
    One option would be to stain the light spot to match the surrounding area. Staining takes some mixing and experiments to get the right color. If that seems like a good option, I can send you a half dozen 1-inch squares of teak holly plywood to experiment on.

Ants

About the little Holly strips, you CAN buy small amounts of Holly...

https://www.bellforestproducts.com/american-holly/

I'd be tempted to VERY carefully....with a router and a flat-bottomed bit, running in a jig....no way I'd hand-hold this....
    run a router through that board and cut out the holly. Then I'd epoxy in a replacement strip.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

On WILDFLOWER I sanded and taped off the floorboards, then painted on cream holly strips. Finally a coat of semi-gloss clear polyurethane flavored with non-skid, and Bob's your Uncle.

Last summer I scrubbed Dura Mater’s sole but then it got dirty again so quickly!

.Name:  2A026C2D-3A65-4E1E-AA07-60D08945FF70.jpeg
Views: 816
Size:  59.1 KB