Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I heard DM maintained 12.9 knots coming down from Benicia - exactly 12.9 the whole trip. Impressive.
    Oh, I get it. Duh. My brain is still relaxed from being in the Delta where I didn't have to keep up or fend off.

12.9. Still making fun of my decal. It's a jungle out here in the big city.

Yet another familiar face (and boat) has joined the E-dock e-regulars: Mr. Hedgehog. Welcome Dave! Dave says he sailed three times this week. He'll fit right in - E-dock boats don't rest on their laurels.

Meanwhile, Surprise! once again has soul... er, sole. Hector did a great job. He stripped the rest of the boards, filled the gouges and dings, bleached the dark spots, then applied a coat of epoxy and count 'em - seven coats of Epifanes. Now I can toss around wet spinnakers with reckless abandon!

Name:  Close Up Sole.JPG
Views: 810
Size:  757.1 KB

Here's that galley board, before and after:

Name:  Galley Sole 1.JPG
Views: 743
Size:  115.6 KBName:  Galley Sole.JPG
Views: 721
Size:  868.2 KB

"Now I can toss around wet spinnakers with reckless abandon!" I don't think it works that way, but we'll see.

"E-regulars" - that's a good one. David sails into and out of his slip, something only a terrific sailor is able to do. Oh yeah, Chris Case does it, too. Dura Mater would do much damage if she tried that, so we turn on the Engine by Dave.

Looking forward to Opening Day On the Reach next Wednesday night!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    "Now I can toss around wet spinnakers with reckless abandon!" I don't think it works that way, but we'll see.
    How did the spinnakers get wet Bob?

&

Of course he can, once he puts down a few Persian throws and runner; they will absorb nicely, while saving him (or his minions) from ever doing that floor job again.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    How did the spinnakers get wet Bob?

&

Of course he can, once he puts down a few Persian throws and runner; they will absorb nicely, while saving him (or his minions) from ever doing that floor job again.
    Oh, now, Brad! That first question is just provocative; &

Maybe, since this is Bob's money we're spending here, he could buy a giant coaster, cut to fit his soul. I can loan one of these for a template if needed.

Name:  coasters.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  481.6 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-06-2020 at 10:56 AM.

(Bullet point thing here) The foot of Surprise!'s spinnaker usually gets wet before I can go forward to lower the socked sail through the hatch.

(Another bullet point thing here) Philpott was, in fact, consulted about what to install to protect the refinished cabin sole. It has been ordered and awaits custom embroidering.

As long as Philpott is in the loop, I'll stop worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    As long as Philpott is in the loop, I'll stop worrying.
    Well, I try to be a good friend. God knows I've tried. When he wanted to sell a perfectly good, fast boat I said, "Well, yes, Surprise! is a beauty, but don't you have a perfectly good, fast boat?"

Then he wanted to cut off the mizzen mast. I said, "But you bought a yawl. Why did you buy it if you wanted a sloop?"

Then he wanted to order new cushion upholstery. I put my foot down: "Now that's just silly", I said. "These are very nice and will wash up fine in cold water." (You're welcome, Connie).

Now he's decided that an embroidered rug will keep his soul from getting scuffed up. I was raised a Catholic. I KNOW that doesn't work.

Most entertaining "read" I've had in weeks!!

The floorboards are drool-worthy, Bob!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"