Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

There seems to be some interest in making this an SSS event, so I looked into it further.

One rule (yes, there are rules) was apparently added after the race in the video. The boat and trailer must be at least as long as the vehicle towing them. Since I drive a Honda Insight and own a 38' Alerion, this shouldn't be a problem.

Another pesky rule is that at least three feet of the boat must still be connected to the trailer at the end of the race. It doesn't say which three feet.

Racing to Drake's Bay and back, the AP drive worked well and the code sail rocked it! It would have rocked more had I hoisted it sooner on Saturday. I had it in my head that I needed 47 degrees AWA, but I just needed 47 TWA!

Sailing back Sunday, I elected to hoist the A2 without the sock. This was fine in light wind but it sure wasn't light wind after the finish! It got exciting trying to get it down before fetching up into Ft. Mason. A letterbox douse saved the bacon.

Great weekend, and Surprise! held her own against many of the light boats. Sorry, no photos to post (unless someone else has one).
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-03-2019 at 09:12 AM.

I came in hot with the A2 doing 14k+ and then had the rude awakening of the barge anchored directly in the path. Very sketchy take-down but managed to not really shrimp or tear the spinnaker.

I guess I'll go pull a winch off and see what's underneath. The replacement has been sitting in my office way too long:

Name:  E Winch.JPG
Views: 1497
Size:  123.5 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-01-2019 at 10:31 PM.

All done except the interior cosmetics, and it works fine. Does anyone know where to have teak boxes made? The off-the-shelf teak dorade boxes aren't deep enough.

Gamayun named Surprise!'s old halyard winch "the magic button." The magic button is available, if you're weary of grinding a heavy, full-battened main up the mast.

Name:  ST40 Guts 2.JPG
Views: 1689
Size:  353.1 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-03-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Coming up on one year so I'm thinking of killing my "new" boat thread. Would anyone miss it?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Coming up on one year so I'm thinking of killing my "new" boat thread. Would anyone miss it?
    Yes, I would miss it, even though I can even walk down the dock to see Surprise! But if you’ve done everything you’re going to do ( and what more can you possibly do?) then go ahead and crush our envious little hearts.
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-08-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Bob...Yes, I would miss it! Please continue to share your knowledge, experience and sailing skills. Your AE38 (SURPRISE!) is very unique and you continue to make many very interesting improvements. It makes us all better sailors and boat owners...Thanks.

By this logic, shouldn't the sled thread have died a few years ago? I don't like that idea, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott
    and what more can you possibly do?
    So much! Is any boat ever 'done'? As I recall there was a pink flamingo at some point on Ragtime. Personally, I'm waiting to see what Surprise! gets. A pink e-rudder? An emergency flamingo?

No comparison to Sled's thread. Once the new Wildflower was completed, that thread took on a life of its own.

Regarding the pink flamingo, Surprise!'s first cruise-out is coming up.