Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

Agreed, that would be best. I had strops around the boom on Ragtime! On this boat the sheeting angle is such that the mainsheet needs to attach at the very end of the boom where a strop would interfere with the outhaul and reefing lines.

I've considered various attachment options and it looks like the best is to change the Loup to "choker" mode, spreading the load along the bolt and also shortening the Loup to reduce the chafe points. The MWL of the Loup is reduced but it would still be within an acceptable load range.

While gybing the asymmetric spinnaker singlehanded, I have to let the main gybe "all standing." In bigger breeze it puts an unacceptable amount of shock on the gear. So the other piece of the puzzle is to add a boom brake or preferably a combination boom brake and preventer. I've never used one of these - any recommendations?

Update: After watching some videos, I ordered a Wichard Gyb'Easy. I'll play with it and report back.
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-23-2021 at 05:56 PM.

I've been thinking of adding a boom brake too. I balked at the cost of the Wichard Gyb'Easy, but then on one of the Facebook sailing groups I saw that someone was using a rock-climbing descender, obviously working on the same principle. So I got one myself. It's going to take some fiddling to rig it efficiently, but at under $20 I'm willing to go through the ordeal!
    Name:  20210923_135541.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  158.9 KB

One of the videos demonstrated a brake similar to yours, with one primary loop. The brand was "Capt. Don." (Not sure if he's related to Capt. Ron.)

The reviews said it didn't add enough friction when the wind went over 10 knots, which is when you need it. Defender currently has the Gyb'Easy at about half price including the line, so I sprung for that.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    The reviews said it didn't add enough friction when the wind went over 10 knots, which is when you need it.
    The reviewer needed to add another wrap or two.

I would also like to point out that a rescue eight cost $60 at Defender and $16 at R.E.I..

And what do Harken loups cost versus climbing slings, I wonder?
    Last edited by Intermission; 09-23-2021 at 04:36 PM. Reason: "and another thing!" ;)

Wichard's Gyb'Easy allows you to increase or decrease the friction by passing the bight in the line through more or fewer rings - there's no need to have access to one end of the line to add wraps. Since one or both ends will be led to blocks and then aft, the Gyb'Easy's design should be a big help when I want to make adjustments.

The Harken Loups are bloody expensive. They are the correct lengths and load ratings for the application so I've decided they're worth it. Ryan Nelson (Rogue Rigging) built similar layered dyneema loops for Ragtime! that were specific to their applications. They were beautifully made.

If the boom-end Loup pictured above gave way at the wrong time, like during a heavy-air gybe in the ocean, it could take down the rig. This isn't an area where I want to take chances by cobbling things together.
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-23-2021 at 06:01 PM.

Certainly, custom dynema to the purpose is best; no argument.
    Climbing gear is all rated; they tend not to skimp on strength either.
    Adding another wrap to a rescue eight is as simple as pulling the bight out over the ears.
    Economical redundancy or repair.

I use low tech stretchy line for my traveler to help with the shock loads on a jibe. Like you we just fling the boom across. It make a loud bang but have only broke it once. (Ditch Run)

Good idea - we did the same when we replaced the traveler lines a while back.

While I was testing lead angles for the boom brake, Dave Hodges walked by. Dave keeps Timber Wolf (see Skip's thread) nearby and is a great resource. He quickly described how he sets up to gybe solo, using the traveler position, autopilot and one trip around the boat to gybe the pole and then help the main across at just the right moment. I'd have to modify his procedure for my asymmetric kite but it reminded me that a lot of this can be solved with technique!

Here's the Loup again - we'll try this and see how it holds up. I'm still amazed at these layered dyneema loops. In "basket" mode you could lift Surprise! with this one.

Name:  Choker mode.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  45.6 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-25-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    The reviews said it didn't add enough friction when the wind went over 10 knots, which is when you need it. Defender currently has the Gyb'Easy at about half price including the line, so I sprung for that.
    I figure on adding more wraps than shown in the illustration, then adjusting the drag by tensioning the line more or less. Still, it's hard to know how much drag is enough until you're out in serious wind.

Bob, I noticed that Wichard provides the line to go with the Gyb'Easy. What's special about it?
    Max

It's blue?

I don't know but they call it "GybeFlex" line and they make a pretty big deal about it in the ads. Just the line is $165 at Landfall. Defender had the whole thing including the line for $215.

It's supposed to arrive on Friday so I'll play with it next weekend and let you know what I observe.