Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

Per your excellent suggestion I looked at some propane monitors. According to the surveyor I'm supposed to have a CO monitor too, so I'll probably opt for a unit that monitors both. RV places have a good selection but I didn't see any with a separate sensor. What brand is yours?

Any boat cookbooks with simple stuff? Like those they write for college students?
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-12-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Per your excellent suggestion I looked at some propane monitors. According to the surveyor I'm supposed to have a CO monitor too, so I'll probably opt for a unit that monitors both. RV places have a good selection but I didn't see any with a separate sensor. What brand is yours?

Any boat cookbooks with simple stuff? Like those they write for college students?

I would worry that the RV stuff wouldn't hold up long in salt air.

As for cooking, we like to make meals at home prior to a cruise and then freeze them, so that all that is needed on the boat is to re-heat and serve.
    On a boat I crewed on going up and down the coast many decades ago, we had cereal and milk with bananas for breakfast, a canned ham, a chunk of Jarlsberg and sourdough bread for sandwiches for lunch, and a number of different dinners; one of my favorites being a one pan meal with hamburger, onion, a can of chili, a can of stewed tomatoes and some pasta shells. We would brown the meat, then cook the diced onion down, throw in the two cans, and then add the pasta. The trick was to not drain the liquid out of the cans so the pasta could soak it up. Barbecued steak and baked potatoes, with maybe a green salad was another. There is a fairly popular group on Face Book called "cooking on boats", and I'm sure there are several boat cookbooks at Blue Pelican that can be had for a song.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-12-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post

The brand is Xintext Propane Fume Detection System, model P-1B-R. Made for boats, with a 20' cable to connect the sensor to the display unit. Propane is heavier than air so the sensor needs to be mounted low. I have a separate Fire/smoke/CO detector (made for home, RV, or boat) located above the level of the galley counters/stove top, near the engine compartment.

As for cookbooks, I have "The One Pan Galley Gourmet" by Jacobson & Roberts, which looks good and has a spiral binding for laying open on the counter.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-12-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

I did some editing to get the "how to blow up Surprise! while cooking" posts out of Philpott's "Sailing Tomorrow" thread. I didn't change anyone's content.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I did some editing to get the "how to blow up Surprise! while cooking" posts out of Philpott's "Sailing Tomorrow" thread. I didn't change anyone's content.
    Nice job. Are you our new Webmaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Nice job. Are you our new Webmaster?
    Hey now.

Bob, About that mizzen... have you seen this picture of CHUBASCO? Nice sails...
    Name:  04222769246625491371.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  118.5 KB

Yes, Chubby is racing to Cabo right now - that was at the start.

That looks like a standard code zero up front. Surprise! would probably need mizzen shrouds to support a stays'l that large and straight-luffed. Looks good though!

I see she's adopted Dorade's "here in name only" half-mizzen. Dorade is a North boat and I think Elvis (at Quantum) handles Chubby's sails. Might have to chat...
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-16-2019 at 08:49 AM.

Here's a video of ORR-5's light-wind start off Newport Beach. Chubasco would go on to win her division, and she was one of the first boats into Cabo.

You might need Faceplant to watch this:
    https://www.facebook.com/nhycCABOrac...7053116143075/

While out calibrating instruments yesterday, Surprise! was overtaken by the lovely Mull 30+ The Shadow.

Aboard were Vallejo YC friends, owners Gail and Bruce Sinclair. The Sinclairs have joined Richmond Yacht Club and The Shadow is berthed one dock over, near her equally lovely sistership Pretty Penny.

Also aboard The Shadow were good friends LaDonna and Rob - it's always great to cross paths with those two!

Name:  Shadow 1.JPG
Views: 835
Size:  1.90 MB
    Name:  Shadow 2.JPG
Views: 832
Size:  2.28 MB
    Name:  Shadow 3.JPG
Views: 817
Size:  1.49 MB
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-27-2019 at 11:07 AM.