Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 343

Thread: Surprise!

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sausalito
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Was out sailing with our friends on their Mull 30 and look who we found! Name:  IMG_20190426_170840.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  1.46 MB

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sausalito
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Name:  IMG_20190426_170743.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  277.9 KBName:  IMG_20190426_170656.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  2.34 MB

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    That ONE time you don't bother to stow the bumpas!


    Thanks Rob and LD!

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    With the SSS ocean races coming up, I've been giving some thought to how I would re-board if I found myself over the side. The assumption (and hope) is that I would be tethered, otherwise there's nothing to talk about.

    Ragtime! had low freeboard and an open transom. Surprise!, with her high freeboard and ample derriere, presents more of a challenge. I bought a pair of etriers and have modified them. I think they will give me a fighting chance to climb back aboard. As with Ragtime!, the plan includes a second, perimeter jackline (outside the stanchions) which would allow me to switch tether "legs" and slide back to the etrier.

    Name:  Etrier 1.JPG
Views: 247
Size:  2.58 MBAttachment 4251Name:  Etrier 3.JPG
Views: 238
Size:  2.10 MB
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-03-2019 at 11:32 PM.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,366

    Default

    Only one way to find out: Have an etrier practice. Borrow Chris's wetsuit and we'll go out sometime this week. I drive, you go over the side. I'll bring the Sony. Then, when we return to E dock, I'll take my turn, go into the water and re-insert my new rudder to measure it for the bolt hole. It's called 'taking turns getting hypothermia'.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-04-2019 at 06:12 PM.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Only one way to find out: Have an etrier practice. Borrow Chris's wetsuit and we'll go out sometime this week. I drive, you go over the side. I'll bring the Sony. Then, when we return to E dock, I'll take my turn, go into the water and re-insert my new rudder to measure it for the bolt hole. It's called 'taking turns getting hypothermia'.
    There are several technical problems with this. The first is that there's no way I could fit into one of Chris's wetsuits. How about if I drive?

  7. #107
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    There are several technical problems with this. The first is that there's no way I could fit into one of Chris's wetsuits. How about if I drive?
    Using a wet suit wouldn't exactly be representative of the actual event and the cold shock that would follow...
    P___/)___J
    Solo RTW

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,366

    Default

    An excellent point, Monsieur Jamotte! Immersion sans wetsuit would much more approximate the actual experience for Bobby the J. We could even go out to the Golden Gate to find a bit of swell. Monsieur Johnston?

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Yes, that would be swell.

    I just finished my "Durable, waterproof diagram or chart locating the principal items of safety equipment and through-hulls, (to be posted) in the main accommodation area where it can be easily seen." *** This, for a single-handed race.

    You know, US Sailing and NCORC encourage OA's to waive any requirements in the SER that are unnecessary for the OA's race(s).


    *** "What's that?" you say. If you work around NCORC's hacked web page and some broken links, you find this. See 3.28:

    2019 NCORC SER
    .
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-05-2019 at 09:50 PM.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Live in Phoenix, boat in San Diego
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I just finished my "Durable, waterproof diagram or chart locating the principal items of safety equipment and through-hulls, (to be posted) in the main accommodation area where it can be easily seen." ***

    This, for a single-handed race [?]
    New in 2019 for NCORC, but this was part of the SER for the 2018 SHTP. Someone questioned whether that was necessary for a single-handed race, and someone else replied with a rationale that sounded reasonable at the time, but I don't recall exactly what it was. Something about being boarded by the Coasties.

    Glad to have mine still posted as a quiet memento.

    Name:  SER 3.28.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  1.81 MB
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •