Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

Was out sailing with our friends on their Mull 30 and look who we found! Name:  IMG_20190426_170840.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  1.46 MB

Name:  IMG_20190426_170743.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  277.9 KBName:  IMG_20190426_170656.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  2.34 MB

That ONE time you don't bother to stow the bumpas!

Thanks Rob and LD!

With the SSS ocean races coming up, I've been giving some thought to how I would re-board if I found myself over the side. The assumption (and hope) is that I would be tethered, otherwise there's nothing to talk about.

Ragtime! had low freeboard and an open transom. Surprise!, with her high freeboard and ample derriere, presents more of a challenge. I bought a pair of etriers and have modified them. I think they will give me a fighting chance to climb back aboard. As with Ragtime!, the plan includes a second, perimeter jackline (outside the stanchions) which would allow me to switch tether "legs" and slide back to the etrier.

Name:  Etrier 1.JPG
Views: 1167
Size:  2.58 MBAttachment 4251Name:  Etrier 3.JPG
Views: 1051
Size:  2.10 MB
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-03-2019 at 11:32 PM.

Only one way to find out: Have an etrier practice. Borrow Chris's wetsuit and we'll go out sometime this week. I drive, you go over the side. I'll bring the Sony. Then, when we return to E dock, I'll take my turn, go into the water and re-insert my new rudder to measure it for the bolt hole. It's called 'taking turns getting hypothermia'.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-04-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Only one way to find out: Have an etrier practice. Borrow Chris's wetsuit and we'll go out sometime this week. I drive, you go over the side. I'll bring the Sony. Then, when we return to E dock, I'll take my turn, go into the water and re-insert my new rudder to measure it for the bolt hole. It's called 'taking turns getting hypothermia'.
    There are several technical problems with this. The first is that there's no way I could fit into one of Chris's wetsuits. How about if I drive?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    There are several technical problems with this. The first is that there's no way I could fit into one of Chris's wetsuits. How about if I drive?
    Using a wet suit wouldn't exactly be representative of the actual event and the cold shock that would follow...

An excellent point, Monsieur Jamotte! Immersion sans wetsuit would much more approximate the actual experience for Bobby the J. We could even go out to the Golden Gate to find a bit of swell. Monsieur Johnston?

Yes, that would be swell.

I just finished my "Durable, waterproof diagram or chart locating the principal items of safety equipment and through-hulls, (to be posted) in the main accommodation area where it can be easily seen." *** This, for a single-handed race.

You know, US Sailing and NCORC encourage OA's to waive any requirements in the SER that are unnecessary for the OA's race(s).

*** "What's that?" you say. If you work around NCORC's hacked web page and some broken links, you find this. See 3.28:

2019 NCORC SER
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-05-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I just finished my "Durable, waterproof diagram or chart locating the principal items of safety equipment and through-hulls, (to be posted) in the main accommodation area where it can be easily seen." ***

This, for a single-handed race [?]
    New in 2019 for NCORC, but this was part of the SER for the 2018 SHTP. Someone questioned whether that was necessary for a single-handed race, and someone else replied with a rationale that sounded reasonable at the time, but I don't recall exactly what it was. Something about being boarded by the Coasties.

Glad to have mine still posted as a quiet memento.

Name:  SER 3.28.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  1.81 MB
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32