Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

I put mine up in the nav station, so I'll have something to read while I'm eating my brussel sprout and kumquat pate'

Name:  Location Chart.JPG
Views: 921
Size:  2.50 MB

As we all know, this enterprise is about lists. One of Surprise's lists is Skip's list, which he sent shortly after he, Tom and I delivered Surprise! up from Santa Cruz last year. Most of the items on Skip's list have been addressed, but one that wasn't was his desire to know the time while at the helm. That got addressed today, along with the final SHF items:

Name:  Clock and Barometer.JPG
Views: 1303
Size:  2.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    New in 2019 for NCORC, but this was part of the SER for the 2018 SHTP. Someone questioned whether that was necessary for a single-handed race, and someone else replied with a rationale that sounded reasonable at the time, but I don't recall exactly what it was. Attachment 4269
    I recall the reasoning was that a sleep deprived sailor might forget where the iodine is kept for that gash. Or the second waterproof flashlight after the first is lost overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    ...someone else replied with a rationale that sounded reasonable at the time, but I don't recall exactly what it was. Something about being boarded by the Coasties.
    Okay, it's probably good that I removed the bong location from the chart. White-Out is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I recall the reasoning was that a sleep deprived sailor might forget where the iodine is kept for that gash. Or the second waterproof flashlight after the first is lost overboard.
    I attended the boat show in April and stopped by the Cruising Outpost table where I picked up one of their magazines. You know, the one with the bikini babe on the bow of some boat? I found some time last night to read it and it took a while to realize it was from 2013. Anyway (wait for it - there is a nexus back to this thread), one of the "new" items was for an app called What's On My Boat. I was really excited because I can't ever remember where I stash the zincs when I'm suited up ready to go diving. And the hack saw is too big to fit in with the regular tools so it goes some place else, which still hasn't made a dent in my grey matter. And on it goes. But flares? No problem. Band aids? No problem. I have that nice boat chart, too, but can certainly remember where the flares and first aid supplies are kept because I never use them. It's the tools that I tear apart the boat looking for! Well, the app must not have been that good because it no longer exists. Am I the only one who thinks this would be a terrific app to have? You'd only need to power up the phone and find whatever it is you ripped the boat apart looking for. Oh, I forget.....you guys don't actually STORE stuff on your boats!

The last day of vacation in Maine included a sail - aboard Surprise of course!

https://www.schoonersurprise.com/history/

Name:  Schooner Surprise 1.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  84.7 KBName:  Schooner Surprise 3.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  66.5 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-27-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    an app called What's On My Boat...
    How 'bout one of these? Use pencil. Plans change.

Name:  datebook.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  264.5 KB

I'll go over today and see "What's On My Boat." No need for a little red book - I read on the internet that Surprise! is now one mast short of a yawl.

This results in a transportation problem: Her 26+ foot mizzen mast won't fit in my Honda Insight, and I need to get it to Benicia. Suggestions welcomed!
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-27-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Enterprise rent a truck has 24' Stakebed trucks for $130. Concord location right between Richmond and Benicia. Or you could drive to Rio Vista and pick up the Azzura trailer which should work fine.

Volvo wagon comes with a middle fold down seat for skis. It also has a "moon roof" that opens. I used it for the mast of my West Wight Potter once.