Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Volvo wagon comes with a middle fold down seat for skis. It also has a "moon roof" that opens. I used it for the mast of my West Wight Potter once.
    Doesn't use of the Volvo require buy-in from the VOR? How long was the Potter mast?

My own VOR doesn't know yet about the pending arrival of a much larger boat part. I just told her the whisker pole pole hanging from the garage ceiling would soon be replaced by "another spar." The replacement spar will span all three bays in the garage.
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-27-2019 at 06:25 PM.

The potter mast was 15' ish. Or tie onto the roof rack.

Name:  volvo.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  2.9 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-27-2019 at 09:02 PM.

My wife's grandpa used to sling 21' sections of pipe under his car on center, to bring them home.

Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like renting a stake truck offers the fewest chances for disaster - thanks Greg. Currently, the mast is firmly lashed to the edge of the dock alongside Surprise! as she awaits further treatments at Easom's Boat Spa.

I saw Dazzler yesterday, who suggested that sailing the boat to Benicia for off-loading was the obvious solution. BTW, Cloud has new Awlgrip topsides. Any guesses on the color?

Depending on your vehicular inventory, a trailer does a good job of protecting the trailing end of a mast and the leading edge can overhang the tow vehicle. That worked for Lightning sailboat with 5-6 feet of overhang. Other trailers can be modified for the same result. I always found trailers to be cheaper than trucks. Maybe, an open u-haul trailer can do the trick. Just a suggestion.

Ants

Thanks Ants.

Our vehicular inventory consists of two Insights and a Prius, no tow vehicles. But it's a tough little carbon-fiber spar. I think it can survive the trip in a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    ... this was about the worst possible day to drive into RYC in a 24' stake truck and expect to be able to turn around and get back out. Great planning, Bob!
    Hahaha! I’m sorry I missed that!

Once I came close to buying a 28 foot mast from a guy near Santa Barbara....until I thought about what it would take/cost to get it up to the Bay Area. NICE...that it fit in the truck!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I'm sorry there have been no updates for awhile.

There's a new pulpit so free-flying sails can set ahead of it, and a new cable-less code sail (which probably won't be used in this LongPac!)

Name:  New Pulpit.JPG
Views: 1490
Size:  696.1 KBName:  Code Sail.JPG
Views: 1660
Size:  928.6 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-01-2019 at 02:15 PM.

I ran out of time before the LongPac to get the waterproof panel cover modified and installed. The biggest problem is keeping the key switch dry. It turns out a McCormick brand spice jar lid fits quite well! I think all the Yanmar key switches are the same size so it you have one, this could work for you.

Yeah, it's green but the spices in the jars with black lids were more expensive, and the lid for thyme leaves already had a big hole instead of little ones. Details matter!

Name:  Key Switch.JPG
Views: 1342
Size:  1.54 MB
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-23-2019 at 10:49 AM.