Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

Sanded and primed, new topsides paint next week. I love those Schumacher lines!

Name:  Primer 1.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  53.1 KB

I saw the crew sanding the hull and taping off the topsides yesterday. Seems like they were being careful!

Last edited by BobJ; 06-01-2021 at 06:46 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Wow, and just like that, it's done! What was the decision the boot strip? I'm partial to a two-tone blue and aquamarine.

Ooh - don't confuse me like that. My mind was made up. But now...

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    This particular project is pretty scary, but I feel like she's in good hands.
    They do beautiful work there.
    Hard to be a do it yourself-er there, because cool boats are moving in and out, and the yard effortlessly walks back and forth between centuries like it is nothing.
    Highly distracting!

Combining responses:

"and just like that, it's done" - It's been two weeks from the decision but two years that I've been thinking about it. Once decided, they do get on with projects at BMC!

"They do beautiful work there" - I was there just to get the bottom done but then they painted a Pearson Commander next to me. Ironically, they painted it Flag Blue. It's an older boat and Flag Blue shows every imperfection, but I went over every inch of it and it was just about perfect. That clinched it.

So Bob, sailing a not-blue boat, coming to waters near you. I've been boating for over 50 years and only two of the boats were white (although this is really not white). The other boats were yellow (2), light green, orange, red (2), blue (2), grey, and flag blue (2) - not including R/C boats.
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-07-2021 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Brain fried - can't right write.

Rich Baker reminded me that I've fallen behind with my Surprise! posts and indeed, it's been a couple of months.

Sunday prior, Philpott came down the dock with Ed Ruszel and Melissa Trace in tow. Ed and Melissa keep their J/32 Flicker at Brickyard Cove and Ed has stopped by before. It was chilly and Philpott suggested that some tea would be nice. I fumbled around and finally remembered the sequence to turn on the propane and fire up the stove - except it wouldn't. The propane gauge showed no pressure and there was no gas reaching the stove. Philpott shook her head, took pity and walked back down to Dura Mater to make us some tea.

Surprise!'s propane system has been largely ignored and it has worked when I've wanted to use it. But I had recently noticed a trace of propane smell when I opened the propane locker. I keep the bottle turned off and the locker is vented directly overboard so I hadn't done anything about it. Now it was time to take a hard look. After my guests left I ended up ripping the whole thing out. Over the next few days I sourced all the components and last Sunday I rebuilt the system with better parts that won't rust out.

(Duplicative photos deleted)

I'll follow up with a small PSA: McMaster-Carr is my go-to site for project stuff. I LOVE that site! It's well-organized with drill-down detail about what you're ordering, you can buy small-project quantities, and the shipping is fast (though a bit pricey). This time I bought a stainless strip to make the bracket and thread sealant tape: PTFE with nickel to use on stainless steel threads (but it's also fine with brass). Amazon had the propane parts - the correct solenoid but made from stainless steel, a stainless pressure gauge, the regulator and a stainless MPT coupler.

We all know about Amazon but in case you haven't bopped around on McMaster's site, check it out.
    Hey Bob: Good news that I can get a S/S propane gauge to replace my rusty one ---- but I'm not finding yours in the McM catalog. I'm only seeing ones for other types of fuel, not propane unless I get one that comes with it's own regulator. Do you know the part number?
    And thanks for letting us know Surprise! is stealth white now -- In the past I could always pick out Surprise! by hull color, now it will be a bit more challenging to keep tabs on you! Cliff, Rainbow

Last edited by BobJ; 06-01-2021 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Removed duplicate photos

Hi Cliff,

Most of the parts came from Amazon; just the raw materials came from McMaster. Here's a link to the gauge:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FBKZOD2...roduct_details

Let me know if you need links to any of the other parts. The solenoid was also quite corroded.

Hi Cliff,

Most of the parts came from Amazon; just the raw materials came from McMaster. Here's a link to the gauge:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FBKZOD2...roduct_details

Let me know if you need links to any of the other parts. The solenoid was also quite corroded.
    Thanks Bob, I'm good on the other parts. Cliff

Combining responses:

"and just like that, it's done" - It's been two weeks from the decision but two years that I've been thinking about it. Once decided, they do get on with projects at BMC!

"They do beautiful work there" - I was there just to get the bottom done but then they painted a Pearson Commander next to me. Ironically, they painted it Flag Blue. It's an older boat and Flag Blue shows every imperfection, but I went over every inch of it and it was just about perfect. That clinched it.

So Bob, sailing a not-blue boat, coming to waters near you. I've been boating for over 50 years and only two of the boats were white (although this is really not white). The other boats were yellow (2), light green, orange, red (2), blue (2), grey, and flag blue (2) - not including R/C boats.
    So when do we get to see Surprise! in her new dress?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"