Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I was at the BMC today to do some simple fixits to the Wildcat, and lo and behold, Surprise! is getting her superfast sprayed-on bottom.

Attachment 6498
    Wow! I always assumed spraying had to be done in a closed-off booth.

A booth is usually used for topside painting (if the boatyard has one)....... like this:Name:  OutsiderRefit - 1.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  364.6 KB
    Name:  OutsiderRefit - 3.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  268.1 KB
    Name:  OutsiderRefit - 2.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  336.1 KB
    Name:  OutsiderRefit - 4.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  270.1 KB
    Name:  OutsiderRefit - 5.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  227.2 KB
    Last edited by solosailor; 06-06-2021 at 09:08 AM.

After a windy delivery from Berkeley, Surprise! is back in her slip. Thanks to Philpott for coming along to make sure we didn't scratch up the new paint!

Julio, Cole, Ruben, Dave and the rest of Cree's team at Berkeley Marine Center did a wonderful job. Thanks also to Ryan of Rogue Rigging for fitting in a rig inspection.

Name:  June 8 Stbd.JPG
Views: 821
Size:  797.2 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-11-2021 at 08:22 PM.

To refrigerate, or not to refrigerate: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of melting ice,
    Or to take arms against spoiling provisions,
    And by opposing, preserve them? To freeze: to merely refrigerate;
    No more; and by refrigerate to say we end
    The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
    That poor food is heir to, 'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wish'd. To freeze, to merely refrigerate;
    To refrigerate: perchance to freeze: ay, there's the rub...

From Ham(let) and cheese

Name:  Icebox.JPG
Views: 618
Size:  51.2 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-09-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Hi Bob,
    Though I haven't used it recently, we used to have good luck with dry ice supplementing regular ice and the box staying cold for 9-10 days if it wasn't opened but 2-3 times/day and had a drain valve in the bottom.

Sailing WILDFLOWER New Zealand non-stop to Hono without refrigeration, I was able to keep fresh food including apples, oranges, eggs, onions, cabbage, raisins, carrots, and potatoes. After 32 days at sea in the tropics, arriving at Hawaii YC, I was fortuitously allowed to tie up with a bow line to the ice machine. ~skip

(Edited to add my response to Skip.) In my current laid-back, less competitive mindset I'm wanting a more hospitable boat, with flatware and stuff. It's common for one or more of my E-dock mates to come by near the end of the day to say Hi. Many times I've had to say "Come on aboard. I have nothing to offer you but thanks for coming by." So I envision having something cold on hand when this happens. As long as it doesn't weigh too much!
    __________________________________________________ __

Danny Harris is RYC's wonderful, relatively new harbormaster. Danny came to RYC from a long-time job at Swedish Marine, where he installed boat refrigeration systems.

He came aboard Surprise! a while back and we discussed the options. Of course my first question was "What would it weigh?" Once a racer...
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-13-2021 at 10:16 AM.

And here I'm contemplating removing my refrigeration on my new to ae38 along with a bunch of other systems. This thread was definitely somewhat responsible for the choice and I'm grateful for it as a reference!!

rand24us: Searching threads, I see that the AE38 is (at least) the second Schumacher-designed boat you've owned. It's a bit larger than the last one you posted about!

Did you decide to keep the refrigeration?
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-14-2021 at 09:25 AM.

This is not exciting but we're here at the moment...

It's been well over two years since we originally posted about not blowing up Surprise! while cooking, propane monitors and the like. I'm happy to report that Surprise! has survived and the sniffer is now installed. Dave Pressley (yep, E Dock) suggested I not install the sniffer right by the stove because it might go off too easily, so I mounted it in a cabinet just below. Propane is heavier than air and the hose comes in down there, so I think it's in a good spot. The gauge is just high enough off the cabin sole that it shouldn't get kicked - we'll see. By mounting the sensor and the gauge near each other, I avoided using the mile-long extension cable that came with the unit.

I also installed a CO monitor by the quarter berth. I should probably install one more in the forward cabin since they recommend having one in each sleeping compartment. Here's the propane monitor:

Name:  Propane Sniffer A.JPG
Views: 686
Size:  74.2 KB Name:  Propane Sniffer B.JPG
Views: 715
Size:  90.0 KB

I'm still appreciating Hector's work refinishing the cabin sole - it was especially bad in front of the galley - but I see I have some more brightwork to freshen up!
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-21-2021 at 02:58 PM.

After tracking down the teak, I'm finally making boxes to hide the backs of the instruments. They say the hardest part of woodworking is getting the finish right - no kidding! I thought the teak pieces might match the wood in the cabin, but when I applied the first coat of varnish they were way too dark. So I sanded them back to bare wood and scrubbed in some wood bleach (oxalic acid in hot water) 4-5 times. I'm still not there! In the photo, the piece on the left is the untreated wood.

Suggestions welcome - I only pretend to know what I'm doing.

Name:  Boxes3.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  99.0 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-14-2021 at 08:55 AM.