Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

The paddlewheel gets fouled and won't spin freely. It was a problem on Rags because the autopilot needed speed input to operate properly, so I got in the habit of pulling the speed insert after every sail.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-06-2019 at 11:35 PM.

H5000 processor installed. Tomorrow I'll find out if the speedo works.

(This is a sailboat, right?)

Name:  Panel H5K.JPG
Views: 902
Size:  2.62 MB

Same slip, six weeks later (compare to post #20). White boot stripe pops and a green bum like Rags'. A new, non-dorky and spinnaker-friendly bow pulpit arrives next week.

Name:  Splashed.JPG
Views: 921
Size:  2.13 MB
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-29-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    H5000 processor installed. Tomorrow I'll find out if the speedo works.

(This is a sailboat, right?)
    Name:  Panel H5K.JPG
Views: 902
Size:  2.62 MB
    Is that a photo of Kynntana’s panel? Cuz it looks like a croozer panel. I forget: does S! have a corian counter? We’ll see if all those electronics help on the next midwinters. Let there be wind, oh please let there be wind!

Dunno - is this Corian? I keep winch handles in that big bin on the right, otherwise it's wasted space. The dishes went into storage. (Dishes?)

Name:  IMG_2960.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  1.73 MB

That croozer thing is a slippery slope. The next thing you know I'll have this guy on the payroll:

Name:  Butler.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  57.2 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-02-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Hahaha!Steve has already called, was looking for strong coffee, I think. I’ll be there by 11 to inspect the fleet.

Default Another amenity on Surprise!

[Bob Johnston came ambling over. Connie had asked if his new boat had a working head, which suggested that she might be interested in sailing on Surprise! one day. Of course he lied and told her “yes”, his new sailboat had a working head. So Bob was on his way to buy “head hose”.]

And, as Bob might say, "here ya go!" https://vimeo.com/308915213

Alas, the new speedo was unsuccessful at attracting any ladies to sail yesterday, especially Connie. So I sailed singlehanded - it's what we do, right? The wind was light but it was a stunning day on the Bay.

I found out that the B&G system is like my iPhone, TV remote, etc. - there are too many options! I followed the instructions to calibrate the new speedo, making three 1 nm runs and letting the system average them and make the correction. The correction looked about right so I hoisted sails and headed out into the Bay. But something was wrong. Boat speed and SOG were always the same. I stuck the boat on AP and dove below to play with the settings. I discovered a box was checked to override boat speed with SOG for purposes of calculating TWS. I didn't tell it to do that. I unchecked the box and now it said I was sailing at 22 knots! Grrr.... Sails down, back to the measured mile in Pt. Potrero Reach and more speed runs. Now it's correct.

I forgot to bring the installation manual for the new compass so I couldn't do that calibration - there are three ways to do it and I couldn't remember any of them.

Modest progress. But yeah, the head works.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-02-2019 at 11:35 PM.

"Rain, rain, go away"... My lament resulted in this epithalamium: "We need the rain, suck it up. Why don't you take up an instrument?"

So I worked up my racing schedule for 2019. It looks a lot like 2018 and previous years, and got me to wondering what the rest of you are planning for this year. I know Philpott plans to go "up the Delta" again. I need to spend some time in the ocean on the new ride. What are others planning?