Thread: Physical well being

Default Physical well being

I have had a recent epiphany. While getting out of my chair after morning coffee I noticed it took me a minute to unfold myself. It's like my back gets settled in and one has to loosen up as one rises out of the chair. Same thing getting out of bed in the morning.

I thought to myself, geeze, I didn't feel this way at all during the entire sail to and from Hawaii. Then I realized the movement of the boat would always cause me to adjust my core to compensate. Even when sitting or lying down. Of course this was a constant so one never got locked into a specific position for very long if at all. It occurred to me it might be a good idea to buy a motion table and place my reading chair on top. That way I could program a computer to keep the table and me moving just like we do at sea.

Someone could devise a chair which did this and could sell the thing as a health aid. Low setting could be called "Pacific High" and high setting could be called "DDW to Hanalei".

Brilliant, Mike! Patent that idea quick! Sell it on one of the off channels that shows cowboys riding horses. Cowboys and horses, sailors and boats. Lots of similarities there.

After taking a season off I'm feeling it too. Sign me up!

Except for the horse part. I still don't get the horse part with the booties and all that.

And here it is. All we need is a comfy chair and some bolts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPzqd247iUM

Wow! ? You had a comfy chair on your boat?
    I had a beanbag that was pretty nice.

A plywood box with a wet three inch cushion on the bottom would be more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Wow! ? You had a comfy chair on your boat?
    I had a beanbag that was pretty nice.

A plywood box with a wet three inch cushion on the bottom would be more realistic.
    Ha Ha Ha, I am looking for movement, not torture. And, yes, I had a comfy chair in my boat. I am not ashamed to admit it

Well, a comfy settee at least.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 10-08-2018 at 10:55 PM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I find I sleep very well with the boat moving.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    I find I sleep very well with the boat moving.
    On the SHTP I slept pretty well in one or two hour bites each night, even when the conditions were pretty sporty. One night the wind was howling and seas were so big it was hard to fall asleep. When I did drift off, the sound and motion stayed with me in my sleep. I dreamed I was part of a lecture/demonstration on how to sleep at sea in rough conditions. There was a big lecture hall and I was either in a demonstration tank on stage simulating the conditions at sea, or there was a camera on board, and the image of what I was doing was being projected on screen. Whichever it was, I could hear the professor’s lecture the whole time. And the professor was none other than Dr. Skip Alan. Needless to say his calm, thoughtful description of the situation was quite restful.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32