Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Vallejo 1-2

Default 2018 Vallejo 1-2

There is really only one division for the Vallejo 1-2, correct? At most one person on Saturday and at most 2 people on Sunday? I shouldn't have to choose Single or double handed?

I believe you do need to indicate on the registration whether you are single or double handed for Sunday.

Just in time for the boat squash in Vallejo Yacht Harbor, a new dock neighbor in Richmond gave Dura Mater his old big fat 'bumpas'. His four old ones look about 30 years newer than Dura Mater's best, but they are not good enough for his lovely, supremely maintained sailboat. Gene told me that his boat is an Ericson, and it looks just like Christian Williams' boat, the one he wrote about in Alone Together. The stainless is sparkling, the hull unblemished. Gene’s boat now sports four blindingly white new fenders and DM, with the slightly less blinding hand-me-downs, has plenty to go all around in Vallejo. Ah, the benefits of being in a boat harbor full of nice boats where old stuff goes to new friends! When we were in Berkeley DM’s old stuff got snatched up at the dumpster. It’s all a matter of perspective.

I also notice that the finish time for the Vallejo 1 has been extended until 7 pm for the Race. That is good except that I have reviewed the wind forecast, which is discouraging. DM and I went out yesterday to practice with the spinnaker near Saturday’s start line. There was such a dearth of wind that I practiced gybing, which was a harrowing experience (for me) even on glass. There was wind from the south, then from the north, then from the east, due west, then south again. I tried to catch a downwind draft, even when it pointed us straight at a barge and tugs, turning and turning like a dog chasing its tail. Sadly, we never went faster than 1.2 knots. It might be a long day on Saturday. If this serves to dismay the other heavy boats in my division (Jan and Daniel), then that is just unfortunate. Last year the food had already been put away by the time Sweet Pea and Dura Mater arrived. We had to bribe the kitchen volunteers to make us burgers. That was seriously sad.

And in case anyone from the Race Deck is reading this:

First of all, thank you very much for your time and attention. If Dura Mater and I arrive before you leave at the end of the day, I will buy each of you a beer, and
    Second: I sure hope there won’t be a postponement at the start of the race. In my opinion that is just a losing proposition. And as Ray Irvine notes so often when he hopes you will pay attention: This is IMHO.

Name:  bumpas.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  206.1 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-17-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I believe you do need to indicate on the registration whether you are single or double handed for Sunday.

I saw that on the registration, but there is only one combined winner regardless of how many people are on board on Sunday, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
    ...but there is only one combined winner regardless of how many people are on board on Sunday, no?
    Hey! Wait a minute! Daniel alludes to (but does not directly address) a valid point! Aside from the fact that big fat heavy boats whose skippers have shoddy sailing skills are terribly disadvantaged by better sailors on smaller faster boats, singlehanded sailors who race against doublehanded sailors in the Vallejo 2 are being discriminated against. And this is the Singlehanded Sailing Society. I call for reconsideration! And maybe redress and attorney's fees! I seem to recall that this issue has previously been brought to the attention of an SSS Race Committee. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Daniel himself has brought it up before. And before that, too. Points are points, after all. Or do I misconstrue the concern?

It is the skippers choice to sail Sunday single or double. Some would argue single with less weight is an advantage. The single was added Sunday so skipper were not disqualified if they sailed back solo. Also RC must keep track of souls on board to USCG and single registration on Sunday stops any confusion on head count...
    Last edited by Lightspeed; 10-17-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Default Need you to Take A Joy Ride on Saturday

ORANGE ALERT: Although some people think no one reads this forum, I know they do because Sled Dog's numbers keep going up and up.

Jim Vickers has requested help at the start of the race on Saturday morning. If no one steps up it will be only Jim, his very good sport wife, Jen, and their two schnauzers on his beautiful huge boat. Because the schnauzers are no good with flags, it will be a VHF start for the race. Now SURELY someone will volunteer to motor out with Jim and Jen and the little doggies?

Name:  J-Vickers.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  188.3 KB

email here: racechair@sfbaysss.org

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    It is the skippers choice to sail Sunday single or double. Some would argue single with less weight is an advantage. The single was added Sunday so skipper were not disqualified if they sailed back solo. Also RC must keep track of souls on board to USCG and single registration on Sunday stops any confusion on head count...
    Hmm, I get the USCG concern. But my question is about scoring of the Regatta.

The SSI, says you can sail Vallejo2 either single or doublehanded: " A boat that normally sails doublehanded may sail
    singlehanded in the doublehanded division for the Vallejo 2 race and one additional race."

For as long as I've been in the SSS I don't see anyone has been disqualified for racing the Vallejo2 singlehanded.

Also RC must keep track of souls on board to USCG and single registration on Sunday stops any confusion on head count...
    For an inside the bay race?

Ok guys, let’s peel the bandaid off this old issue and each make his case pro or con and then have a beer in Vallejo. Remember I am a RC “has been” and carry no weight going forward.

History for those who are not up to speed on this. When I became RC in 2016 at the first board meeting an issues was raised that complaints had been raise by doublehanded racers that singlehanded racers were starting to race in the doublehanded Div. The reality is we are becoming the Doublehanded Sailing Society.

A proposal was made that with extra ballast singlehanded could sail doublehanded. New to the issue I had no opinion and the motion passed. As you both know it did not work. However it did serve to show a brewing problem between single and double.

In 2017 I proposed we remove the ballast issue and allow a one race mulligan if your crew did not show but keep some kind of a cap on single in double. At that point the issue was raised that in the past we have always allowed single back in the V1-2. I then modified the proposal and which is now in the SI’s one single mulligan AND the V2.

So the way I understand the SI’s is a Regatta, V1 single V2 single OR double. All boats on Sunday scored as a “boat” only not single or double so no split, points or awards between single or double. Sat points and Sunday point together wins the Regatta. I like dark beer...