Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don't laugh - and I mean it!

Default Don't laugh - and I mean it!

I submitted a stupid question to the community and, fortunately, answered it myself before being publicly exposed as a complete idiot. Please ignore.
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-31-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    I submitted a stupid question to the community and, fortunately, answered it myself before being publicly exposed as a complete idiot. Please ignore.
    oh, damn. did I miss an opportunity to tease you? I take it you have learned how to Delete.

In all my days I have NEVER, not once, asked a dumb question. Nope, nope. No sirree.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Darn, I thought this was going to be a good one. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge!

Well ok, but inquiring minds want to know. We can all come up with some equally stupid answer, if that helps.

Since Mike deleted his stupid question, I'll contribute my latest:

I bought some cool line bags for the cockpit that match the gelcoat color. To make sure they would stay attached I epoxied strips of 3M Dual-Lock to the bags instead of regular velcro.

But I forgot to remove the backing strips first.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Since Mike deleted his stupid question, I'll contribute my latest:

I bought some cool line bags for the cockpit that match the gelcoat color. To make sure they would stay attached I epoxied strips of 3M Dual-Lock to the bags instead of regular velcro.

But I forgot to remove the backing strips first.
    Bob, that is s stupid deed. This is different from a stupid question because you are just admitting what we all know to be true about each other. If we had a dollar for every stupid thing we actually did aboard a boat we would all be millionaires. With interest, dividends and inflation I might be approaching billionaire status.

A stupid question, however, reveals the true depth of our (well, my anyway) cluelessness. How, exactly, did this dude make it outside the gate?

But, due to not all that popular demand, I will expose my stupid question. I bought a used spinnaker from Pineapple. Good fit for my gunmount and has a retrieval line patch already sewn in. I thought this was unique to the gunmount system but apparently a retrieval line is also used on a normal spinnaker in some cases to improve retrievability in higher winds. Anyway, I get the spinnaker home and decide to rig the retrieval line but which side of the sail is forward and which side is backward? I think on this for a few minutes and realize, hey, why don't I ask my colleagues at SSS. They are used to dumb questions.

Several seconds after posting I remember one luff has a red ribbon for the full length. Aha! ... get that frigging post down...NOW before anyone sees it. This is not a dumb question this is a really really clueless question. Fortunately I can now unburden myself since I figured it out on my own.

And how the hell do you delete the thread in its entirely including title?

A long time ago, a couple of us (who didn't step back quickly enough) were given Admin rights on this forum. With Admin rights you can do all kinds of nefarious things, including deleting entire threads. But it's too late for this thread - now it has legs.

OMG. So many sailing years, so many stupid things. Are we only talking recent stupid things or are we trying to impress each other?
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-31-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Are you thinking about when you sailed your Potter across the lawn?