Thread: Berkeley Midwinters 2018-19

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    BEE-utiful, Jackie!
    Thank you, Carliane! Let's go out on Kynntana and play with some sails. Or come out on Dura Mater with me and we can wave to all the Express 27s as they pass us twice.

Bob, that is a terrific story about the black sail. I appreciate it even more now and I'll give it a little wave every morning on the way to the kitchen.

Does my bumble bee have a history? Alas, Boaters Resale of Texas doesn't have the same sense of history that we in the SSS enjoy. They sold it to me for $165 before tax. Shipping was $30. I like those people. They got back to me right away, and on a Saturday evening!

It was variously described as both a jib and a drifter online and I was, indeed, able to use it almost close hauled on Sunday. I used my spinnaker blocks but next time I'll attach a block further back, at DM's aft cleat, and see how it feels that way.

I have a second jib halyard that I'd never used before Sunday, and tried it with the Bumble Bee. I gybed carefully at the leeward mark and was able to go through the wind, where we went from being on a reach all the way 'round to a close haul! It is a really versatile sail. Of course it helped that DM is such a forgiving boat, galumphing along like a St Bernard.

Hey, Greg! Here's a photo I found on my phone of you and Nightmare returning to the bay under the Golden Gate Bridge upon your arrival from Hanalei Bay this summer. 8.7.18
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-11-2018 at 09:06 PM.