Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Berkeley Midwinters 2018-19

Default Berkeley Midwinters 2018-19

How about it? Some SSS folks are signed up but I don't know if they're racing shorthanded.

Dates for shorthanders (Sundays) are 11/11, 12/09, 1/13, 2/10 and the winners' race on 2/24. We need some boats signed up by November 5th or we'll have to race against the crewed boats.

Here you go:
    http://byc.regattalog.com/mw

Yes, I'm hoping to Surprise! some people.

I have done the Berkeley mid-Winters in the past and an attest to them being a well run and enjoyable (and generally mellow) Sun afternoon on the Bay. I plan to sign up for the shorthanded series and hope to pick up scratch doublehanded crew. If you would like to join me, contact me at tboussie at gmail dot com.

Tom - Capo 30 JouJou

I get the difference between singlehanded and doublehanded; what is the distinction between doublehanded and shorthanded? Is it similar to leaf and leaves? How many leaves would be counted on a shorthanded boat vs a singledhanded leaf? Would a doublehanded crew leave a leaf aboard or would leaves be left aboard?

Stink Eye plans on Sunday doublehanded. But we will miss the first weekend due to work.

Nightmare is signed up singlehanded.
    Only one leaf aboard.
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

I've signed up in the shorthanded division, too. I think that means I can sail either with or without a friend. Where do ya get one a them?

"Seek friend to sail on Dura Mater. Must bring your own lunch and one for me. Can't touch anything. Do what I tell you." hahaha.

I met a new dock mate. Howard s/v See Ya!, an Olson 911. Howard is delightful and also very accommodating. He moved his electrical cord further over on his side so I can jump off in the frenzy that I call "docking" without my ankle rolling on the line. Howard teaches sailing. The first time we met he offered to come sailing with me to "show me" a few tips. I told him that he could come along as eye candy. He disappeared into his cabin after that, during which time he may have reconsidered our compatibility as dockmates.

He meant only to be friendly, I know. He offered again last week. I had to be honest:

"Howard, here's the thing. I really like sailing. In fact, I love sailing! But I don't care about winning. Or not enough to pay much attention or to spend any more money. So if you want to come along on Dura Mater you are welcome, but you can't touch anything. But, hey! It'll be fun!"

Howard took it all in. And now I think we are on the way to becoming friends. So if you see Dura Mater on the course and she seems to be doing really well, it will probably be due to my eye candy, Howard.
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-05-2018 at 02:26 PM.

We have 6 to 9 boats, depending upon who is entering shorthanded. If Jim Fair, Jan Hirsch and Greg Towers are all shorthanded, we have nine.

Last year we didn't have enough boats to split it into SH and DH starts but we're getting close this year. Today is the cutoff to set the divisions so if you're lurking and thinking about it, today's the day!

Thanks to everyone who has signed up (or will). Right now the majority is from Richmond (RYC or Marina Bay) so perhaps we can get together at RYC after one or more races.

(What's the deal with the leaves?)
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-05-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Seventeen Express 27s already.

We got enough entries to have both SH and DH divisions! Thanks to all who signed up.

It's not too late - if you can't race this Sunday, come and join us next month.

Default Berkeley Midwinters Recalled

Oh dear, I just remembered ....

Name:  Berkeley Midwinters.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  529.0 KB