Name:  BYC SH Start.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  59.4 KBName:  1353ragtime.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  79.9 KBName:  WW Douse BYC.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  84.7 KB

Photos by NorCalSailing.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-09-2018 at 12:13 PM.

And there WAS wind - peaking at 25 knots according to the Race Committee. The most I saw was 27 over the deck.

I think the new ride is gonna work...

CONGRATULATIONS!
    First place in your first race with SURPRISE!

I think we need a full report. Did you fly Rags’ blue/white chute? Did you deploy the secret weapon DDW? And speaking of poles, what about the one on the back? Was it just along for the ride? AND, was your success owed to the last minute, last ditch effort to remove the holding tank?

Inquiring minds just want to know...

Way to go Bob.

Tom
    Last edited by Dazzler; 11-11-2018 at 10:38 PM.

I did fly the chute on the way to the start. The sock still binds up on the hoist - if anyone has a fix for this, I'm all ears. My dockmate with a Cal 40 puts woolies on the bottom of the spinnaker to help with the first sock hoist; I might try that.

The spinnaker tack line and the clew reef line currently share a clutch, so I had to make a choice once it got windy. I opted for reefing the main and that was the end of the chute for today. I did not deploy the secret weapon in the black bag. I was doing okay on the competition so I sailed high enough DW to keep the jib working and just put in a couple extra jibes.

The "pole" on the back (the mizzen) was flying for the entire race. I like to think it helped off the wind but mostly it sat there and looked cool. I think I'll name the mizzen either Joe Cool or Oh Yeah (as in "Oh yeah, there's another sail back there to trim.")

About the holding tank: I finally got a woman aboard my boat on Saturday so I tried that famous pick-up line, "You wanna see my holding tank?" I suspect she'll be along shortly to tell you what she thought.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-21-2018 at 01:31 AM.

PHRF 114? That is an interesting Surprise!

A surprise which way? I'm not that happy about the rating.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-21-2018 at 01:27 AM.

Another Girl rates 90 without chute.

And I don't mean any harm or anything I just find it interesting. PHRF and politics should be kept to a minimum on forums...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    Another Girl rates 90 without chute.
    If Surprise! had AG's main (on its carbon fiber rig) I wouldn't need a spinnaker either. Think WylieCat:

Name:  Another Girl.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  86.3 KB

Congrats, Bob!

Yeah, I think some of us had navigation problems. I sailed around the wrong leeward mark first before I noticed it and corrected myself with a little detour. . I heard others had problems as well. For me it was the first time on the Berkeley circle with its many buoys. Cheers Jan