Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Berkeley Midwinters 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    BEE-utiful, Jackie!
    Thank you, Carliane! Let's go out on Kynntana and play with some sails. Or come out on Dura Mater with me and we can wave to all the Express 27s as they pass us twice.

Bob, that is a terrific story about the black sail. I appreciate it even more now and I'll give it a little wave every morning on the way to the kitchen.

Does my bumble bee have a history? Alas, Boaters Resale of Texas doesn't have the same sense of history that we in the SSS enjoy. They sold it to me for $165 before tax. Shipping was $30. I like those people. They got back to me right away, and on a Saturday evening!

It was variously described as both a jib and a drifter online and I was, indeed, able to use it almost close hauled on Sunday. I used my spinnaker blocks but next time I'll attach a block further back, at DM's aft cleat, and see how it feels that way.

I have a second jib halyard that I'd never used before Sunday, and tried it with the Bumble Bee. I gybed carefully at the leeward mark and was able to go through the wind, where we went from being on a reach all the way 'round to a close haul! It is a really versatile sail. Of course it helped that DM is such a forgiving boat, galumphing along like a St Bernard.

Hey, Greg! Here's a photo I found on my phone of you and Nightmare returning to the bay under the Golden Gate Bridge upon your arrival from Hanalei Bay this summer. 8.7.18
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-11-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Back in 2014 I invited Carliane to do Drakes Bay with me because I was a big fat baby and afraid to do it singlehanded. She agreed but because neither of us were savvy to the effects of current in the Bonita Channel we spent the better part of the day stuck there, fighting our way against the flood. Sigh. Lesson learned. At the end of the day we motored through the dark into Drakes Bay. Allen Cooper foolishly responded to our radio hail, and we bribed him to let us raft up to Krissy. He invited us into his (warm, comfortable) cabin reluctantly, and only when we promised rotisserie chicken (thank you, Carliane). He hardly knew us, these loud desperate women, slightly nervous in the dark. Well, I was nervous anyway. I don’t think Carliane is scared of anything. After that I decided that I felt comfortable sailing alone to destinations where no Dura Mater has gone before. Thanks for the gift of fortitude, Carliane.

Al Germain sailed on DM in a Berkeley midwinters that was so foggy we couldn’t see two boat lengths ahead. It was also very windy, which was unnerving. I stood at the bow with the air horn while Al steered. He was impressively calm. Later I asked him, how had he stayed so calm? He shrugged and smiled that enigmatic little smile of his: “Well, it’s not my boat, is it?” Point taken, Al.

Pat Broderick sailed with me in that same Midwinters series, and when he stepped aboard he looked around for my instruments. I hung my head. No instruments aboard Dura Mater. But wait! Yes there is a fish finder over there on the portside companion way. An actual, installed instrument! He nodded sagely. We would sail by tell tales. He would show me how. So we sailed, in light air this time. He taught me how to sit on the low side, loosen up the outhaul, lessen the tension on the jib halyard and trim until not only the telltales on the jib flow but also the telltales along the leach of the main. Constantly trim the main in and out. Ohhhh! So that’s how you do it! That’s how the Broderick wins, and now his secrets are out. Thank you, Pat.

I’ve sailed with Skip out of Santa Cruz. When Skip steps aboard your boat you just hand him the tiller. I mean, Duh. The boat was putty in his hands. We sailed out to the mile marker and then over to Capitola where he did figure eights around the moored boats in 25 knots. The harbormaster came onto the wharf to watch protectively over his clients. Who could blame him? After all, he recognized neither Dura Mater nor the person at the helm from that distance. No sailing advice from Skip that day except to switch out my boom for a beefier size. I’ll do that one day, but not this day. Skip is a man who sails joyously for the sheer pleasure. And oh, yes, he knows all the other stuff, too. I’m sure of it because I read it in a book. Or maybe I haven’t read the book yet. Well, there should be one. Book By Skip. Maybe one day he’ll finally write it down. Because if he doesn’t it will be lost. Not to nag.

Yesterday Dura Mater participated in the Berkeley Midwinters with Philippe, who was great fun to have aboard! I think people were trying extra hard yesterday, because we moved around the course expeditiously. As we headed to the windward mark for the second time Philippe gently suggested that DM doesn’t point as well as Stink Eye or the Express 27s or even (ahem) Nathalie’s Figaro. So don’t follow their leads, said Philippe. Fall off a bit for speed.
    “See? You’re keeping up with that Express 27. Well … at least you were for awhile…. “

Name:  Philippe 011319 - Copy.JPG
Views: 533
Size:  254.3 KB

He tried to stay positive, but he kept looking behind us.
    “Are we LAST?” he asked incredulously. PJ is not accustomed to bringing up the rear. I heard the defensive tone in my voice: “Remember: Our rating is 213.” What I meant was: ‘Surely with you aboard, oh, Jamotte, we will prevail on corrected time.’ But alas! We did not.

It wasn’t for lack of trying, either. DM tried her best. The spinnaker was raised in wind above 10 knots for the first time in history. That was a no brainer. My crew was determined. I will admit that it was quite pleasant to have someone aboard to boss around.

“Release the clutch!” “Prepare to tack!” “Move your legs!” Those legs were everywhere, clogging up the cockpit. I worried about clocking him with the boom but he ducked and weaved like Ali behind me. I didn’t have to share the cushion because he could see above the cabin top without it, and he re-packed the spinnaker between sets. I didn’t get sweaty once the whole day because he did all the work.

“Raise the sail!” “Gybe the pole!” It was slightly boring for me. He was effortlessly obedient. Having crew makes a huge difference. I wonder if he’s that way at home? I’ll have to ask Jolie. Hahaha.

Anyway, I learned anew to love my boat for her own unique charms, which don’t seem to be in the racing arena. But we get out there. And now DM and I say adieu for today and thank you again to some of our illustrious crew from yesterday and years past.
    Last edited by Philpott; 01-14-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Yesterday Dura Mater participated in the Berkeley Midwinters with Philippe, who was great fun to have aboard!
    Thanks for having me aboard. It was a great day to sail and I enjoyed my time on Dura Mater. I would be happy for more as opportunities arise ...

What time did the wind come up and how much wind ? I found just under 10 knots after 2 pm from the NE. Pretty nice sailing until sunset.
    Brian

I saw a max of 14 out of the NW.
    Filled in around 12:15
    Good sailing.
    There is always a mistake. Yep I really ran the S/F line during the windward leg. DOH!

Dura Mater looked good with her secret weapon crew. I thought it was one of her better finishes
    Nice job with the kite.
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 01-14-2019 at 11:43 PM.

It was January 13th and we were out racing sailboats on San Francisco Bay. Whatever happened beyond that was gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It was January 13th and we were out racing sailboats on San Francisco Bay. Whatever happened beyond that was gravy.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I saw a max of 14 out of the NW.
    Filled in around 12:15
    Good sailing.
    There is always a mistake. Yep I really ran the S/F line during the windward leg. DOH!

Dura Mater looked good with her secret weapon crew. I thought it was one of her better finishes
    Nice job with the kite.
    Well, I’m not surprised! I watched you hauling in that massive genoa as you turned to port and said aloud to Philippe: “Look at that! How does he do it?” You looked like a crab fisherman pulling in a full net. FAST. Very impressive.

I really need to work on boats less and sail more.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Default Apres Midwinters there is the Snow

Received this message from Elton Cassels, crewmember on Steve Katzman's Dianne in the Berkeley Midwinters. Second place in the Sunday series, behind Motorcycle Irene, who is hard to beat on any course.

"It was a windy wet rainy, and well, really wet Saturday on Racecourse. (Did I say windy?) it blew 25 + pm the gusts, and rained buckets."

After the races, putting the boat away in the yard and driving 3+ hours, Steve and Co arrived back in South Lake Tahoe to find this:

Name:  Steve's house.png
Views: 434
Size:  486.1 KB