Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Favorite local cruising destinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    Cruise Forum Idea. Bob said we just need to get organized, and Solosailor said we do not need another Crusing Org. So what about just adding a main topic of Cruising in the Forum.

When I became RC Dave added Race Deck to the Mian topics for race info related discussions. Can we add Cruise Corner or (??) to the Forum Main? That way anyone can post a new thread on a proposed cruise outlining to draw chatter and anyone can add a new outing for the next proposed outing and each can have it’s own thread. Just an idea...
    Great idea!!

BTW, this is my cruising dingy, well, a sister ship anyway. I built my six footer about 10 years ago. It's tiny but it gets the job done. I use a couple of throwable pads to sit on when I am rowing. If you go with two people, pack very light. It folds up and I store it on my transom inside the pushpit rail.

https://woodenwidget.com/origami.htm

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    I had to laugh when I read your BBQ story. The reason I bought my new Magma is I had a little incident at Berkeley Marina a few months ago with my old (like 25 years old) Magma.
    I had a beautiful ribeye I was salivating over, whipped out the magma and got it on the rail. as I was wrapping up the install, the gas regulator just fell off and dropped in 12 feet of water. Oh well, fortunately I had a stove. I had replaced the regulator several times and just about every other part of that thing. I bit the bullet and bought a brand new one. The new models are great, they have some big improvements over the 1990 model.

Every time a part falls off my Magma I tie a safety from the new part to the stern pulpit.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Every time a part falls off my Magma I tie a safety from the new part to the stern pulpit.
    Yep, stainless seizing wire is a Magma griller's best friend. Lost all three grates from my Cabo last year when I didn't have it clamped tight enough and it spun upside down with the lid unlocked. Wired the new ones together, and then one of them to the grill. Magma owes me a tri-tip and brussels sprouts, at the very least.
    I preemptively bought a spare regulator, which is probably why the original has lasted so long.

p.s. if you use the 1 lb propane canisters like I do and don't have another source of propane in your life, Sports Basement will refill them, for free, forever, if you buy the refillable canister at their store!
    Last edited by Lanikai; 11-16-2018 at 10:17 PM. Reason: brussel-sss sss-prouts

I note that our twice-yearly cruise-ins gather a small, but not insignificant crowd. Some sail in, some drive in, but we get a dozen-plus people around the tables. I like these, because I actually get a chance to get to know people. Since going to Wednesday night race meetings in Oakland is now really impractical due to Bay Area traffic, the cruise-ins are great.

I'd like to suggest that the cruise-ins are one of the best additions to the SSS in a long time, so kudos to whoever dreamed up the idea.

But "No" to changing the SSS name! LOL
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    BTW, this is my cruising dingy, well, a sister ship anyway. I built my six footer about 10 years ago. It's tiny but it gets the job done. I use a couple of throwable pads to sit on when I am rowing. If you go with two people, pack very light. It folds up and I store it on my transom inside the pushpit rail.

https://woodenwidget.com/origami.htm
    Their website says "Our plans contain about 100 pages and well over 100 photos that were taken during an actual construction." You really followed 100 pages of instruction on how to build a dinghy? I'm seriously impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Their website says "Our plans contain about 100 pages and well over 100 photos that were taken during an actual construction." You really followed 100 pages of instruction on how to build a dinghy? I'm seriously impressed!

Yea, I built mine in my garage in Albuquerque, NM. It says 100 pages but it's not that bad, however the fact that it is foldable made it a bit more complicated than the run of the mill dingy.