Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite local cruising destinations.

We have the Sailing Tomorrow thread. That's probably enough organization, although it's rarely enough notice for me.

Anyhow, I've been noodling about all this and now I'm conflicted. It was easy before: Clean bottom, good sails and minimum weight. But Surprise! the croozer has all these cabinets and drawers - hundreds of them - and most (no, ALL) had stuff in them. There were dishes and flatware and cups and multiple bottles of cleaners and, and...

Now I'm thinking I need one of those stern BBQ's, and maybe the dishes and cups might actually be useful. I'm starting to look at different pages on Defender's website. What to do???
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-16-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    Nice! How was pier 39?
    Last year (2017) it was fairly sketchy with very angry sea lions blocking the way every time tried to get on or off the boat.

This year I saw a guy running around all day shooing them away from the guest dock. So it wasn't as bad.

Still, I stop there when I'm up the SF bay area. It's nice to get a warm meal once in the trip instead of just dry cereal (I have no fridge, no stove).

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    Please don't. Start another org. for cruisers.
    I think you know this but just to be sure...that was a joke.

The SSS takes the SSS as serious as heart attack. The only thing that might be equivalent or slightly worse would be to suggest we change the SHTP finish to anywhere but Hanalei.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    We have the Sailing Tomorrow thread. That's probably enough organization, although it's rarely enough notice for me.

Anyhow, I've been noodling about all this and now I'm conflicted. It was easy before: Clean bottom, good sails and minimum weight. But Surprise! the croozer has all these cabinets and drawers - hundreds of them - and most (no, ALL) had stuff in them. There were dishes and flatware and cups and multiple bottles of cleaners and, and...

Now I'm thinking I need one of those stern BBQ's, and maybe the dishes and cups might actually be useful. I'm starting to look at different pages on Defender's website. What to do???
    Funny you should mention BBQs, I just set up my new Magma on the stern rail. BBQd a nice Cornish Game Hen and baked a potato at China Camp the other day. Next step is to reattach my stern ladder now that the erud structure has been removed. That will be the first time since the 2015 Longpac.

I have a bunch of cabinets too. For each ocean race I would get major grief from the Real Jacqueline when I started offloading stuff from said cabinets into the garage. "More boat stuff for for the Kingdom of Crap I see". I got to where I was sneaking it in while she was at work. It's a hard life.

Quote Originally Posted by jyriv View Post
    (I have no fridge, no stove).
    Oh, but this is so lightweight! So easy! Only $14.99 And it uses little 8 oz butane containers ($1.25 each at Asian Foods).

Name:  stove.png
Views: 212
Size:  6.1 KB

Oatmeal, couscous, boil water for Peets coffee ...
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-16-2018 at 02:35 PM.

On my first solo race, and still new to Kynntana, I was motoring out of the Estuary to the start of the Vallejo 1-2. I glanced over and to my horror saw the BBQ grill was still attached to the railing. At the time, my old AP would work until it didn't and then the boat would round up. Needless to say, it took a while to get an allen wrench out of the toolbox and as I was holding the BBQ in one hand, the screwdriver in the other and trying to keep everything going overboard, the boat rounded up again near Jack London. Somehow, I managed to keep it all together and only lost one of the screws, which I still have not replaced. I've been thinking of reattaching the BBQ and scooting out to the Channel Islands and Drakes Bay next year. Never been to Tomales Bay and I never pass up an opportunity to spend the evening in Half Moon Bay.

Bob, I think you should quit fighting it and learn to love your cabinets like I absolutely adore my Corian counter tops. The snickering will subside eventually as people move their focus onto some other squirrel

I love this thread as well as the idea of the SSS Croozing Society (SSSCS has a nice, slow ring to it).

Bob, Empty drawers? Lots of lead silverware, plates, pots, and whatever else you can cram in to add weight to the boat! Oh, and all those trophies you've won over the years. A heavy, slow boat is a good competitor! ;-)
    Seriously, when I had the Newport 30 and the race was important I'd show up at the berth an hour earlier than normal and truck 5 or 6 cartloads of "cruising gear," tools, the raft, sails, and the kitchen sink up to the parking lot. Stash it all in the van during the race and then reverse the process after I got back. I just couldn't bring myself to discard anything, even the rusty carpenter's hammer that was in the tool drawer when i bought the boat. I've wondered if the new owner ever found a use for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    Bob, Empty drawers? Lots of lead silverware, plates, pots, and whatever else you can cram in to add weight to the boat! Oh, and all those trophies you've won over the years. A heavy, slow boat is a good competitor! ;-)
    Seriously, when I had the Newport 30 and the race was important I'd show up at the berth an hour earlier than normal and truck 5 or 6 cartloads of "cruising gear," tools, the raft, sails, and the kitchen sink up to the parking lot. Stash it all in the van during the race and then reverse the process after I got back. I just couldn't bring myself to discard anything, even the rusty carpenter's hammer that was in the tool drawer when i bought the boat. I've wondered if the new owner ever found a use for it?
    Ha Ha, I have the "just couldn't bring myself to discard anything" situation covered. This is the advantage of a garage. I can just store stuff, basically forever. I have a brand new galley pump I bought and never used. I can't bring myself to throw it away... you never know. It is approaching 35 years old.

The other thing I can't bring myself to do is think about what would have happened if I used the $40 I spent on the pump to buy a couple of shares of Microsoft instead of a pump I have never used.

I agree with the suggestion for a small stove. Those things work surprisingly well. If I didn't have a stove I would also seriously consider a rail mount BBQ. I have used mine to cook just about everything. You can put pots on there to fry and boil stuff if needed.

Cruise Forum Idea. Bob said we just need to get organized, and Solosailor said we do not need another Crusing Org. So what about just adding a main topic of Cruising in the Forum.

When I became RC Dave added Race Deck to the Mian topics for race info related discussions. Can we add Cruise Corner or (??) to the Forum Main? That way anyone can post a new thread on a proposed cruise outlining to draw chatter and anyone can add a new outing for the next proposed outing and each can have it’s own thread. Just an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    On my first solo race, and still new to Kynntana, I was motoring out of the Estuary to the start of the Vallejo 1-2. I glanced over and to my horror saw the BBQ grill was still attached to the railing. At the time, my old AP would work until it didn't and then the boat would round up. Needless to say, it took a while to get an allen wrench out of the toolbox and as I was holding the BBQ in one hand, the screwdriver in the other and trying to keep everything going overboard, the boat rounded up again near Jack London. Somehow, I managed to keep it all together and only lost one of the screws, which I still have not replaced. I've been thinking of reattaching the BBQ and scooting out to the Channel Islands and Drakes Bay next year. Never been to Tomales Bay and I never pass up an opportunity to spend the evening in Half Moon Bay.

Bob, I think you should quit fighting it and learn to love your cabinets like I absolutely adore my Corian counter tops. The snickering will subside eventually as people move their focus onto some other squirrel

I love this thread as well as the idea of the SSS Croozing Society (SSSCS has a nice, slow ring to it).
    I had to laugh when I read your BBQ story. The reason I bought my new Magma is I had a little incident at Berkeley Marina a few months ago with my old (like 25 years old) Magma.
    I had a beautiful ribeye I was salivating over, whipped out the magma and got it on the rail. as I was wrapping up the install, the gas regulator just fell off and dropped in 12 feet of water. Oh well, fortunately I had a stove. I had replaced the regulator several times and just about every other part of that thing. I bit the bullet and bought a brand new one. The new models are great, they have some big improvements over the 1990 model.