Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite local cruising destinations.

Agree on China Camp though it is basically an open roadstead and can get rough depending on wind and marine traffic. I was up there night before last and it was a bit rough when I anchored at 3PM. By 6PM it was calm and remained so throughout a restful night. Got rough again around 8AM as the ferry wakes made their way over. Secure holding in mud so no worries staying put.

Clipper Cove is my all time favorite In the Bay. Well protected and good holding. Yea the bridge and traffic are right there but I always feel like I am in my own little world. What I like about it is it's always flat as a board in there. If you are looking for quality sack time, this is your spot. The entrance is getting pretty shallow though. Have to be careful crossing the bar. I did pick up a submerged cable there a number of years ago when I went way in to the southwest. It must have been an abandoned something. It was about 4 inches in diameter and weighed a ton. I had to winch my CQR up and lift the cable off the hook with a jib halyard. Gad what a pain. Took me two hours to get out of there. I don't go in so far any more.

HMB, I always anchor out unless I need to buy some stuff. The anchorage reminds me of Clipper Cove, flat and comfie with good holding. And that fog horn... man. I love that fog horn. I have a recording of it but it's not the same. Apparently some new folks moved into HMB area and wanted the horn turned off. NOPE!! They were not successful.

Horsehoe Bay. Only been there once, one of the best nights ever, the night I got under the Gate coming back from Kauai. Small area but sure is a central location. Was pretty calm the time I was there but don't know much about the anchorage or even if it's kosher to anchor there. Cliff and Jackie who met me coming in seemed a little equivocal on this point. Cliff Shaw's comment was "well this is a port and we need refuge" so we are good. This is aspect of sailing which I really really love. Not only that but the holding was good.

Places I would like to try out

The small cove just south of Monterey, Stillwater cove. I hear there is a lot of Kelp though

Tomales Bay.

Many places on the Delta, there are some spectacular spots to explore.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 11-15-2018 at 05:59 PM.

We need to get organized about this, now that I have a boat that's comfortable to sleep on.

I hereby propose a name change.

How does SSCS sound?

The Singlehanded Sailing and Cruising Society. I really like it. I am pretty sure we can get the membership to buy in.

Hahahahahahaha!

Stillwater cove is really pretty. As a kid, I raced on Mercury's out of Stillwater. There was a pier with a hoist on it. My skipper and about 8-10 other Mercs were on trailers, on the pier. Also, they laid a floating, thick polypro line about 150 feet long from two cement blocks sunk in shallow water in the cove. They'd replace the line at the beginning of April and pull it out in October. We'd tie up to loops in the line on saturday if we had races both days on a weekend.

The pier is still there, and so is the adjacent Pebble Beach Swim and Tennis Club.

There is a LOT of kelp, and the bottom is very rocky so anchor with care. It's pretty open to the south but a wonderful spot in the summer.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Before I got into grad school, I schmoozed a Cal Berkeley Professor who had projects at Bodega Marine Lab. I LOVED driving up there for long weekends, and getting out on the rocks to work on his project. I didn't get into Cal, but that experience convinced me that grad school in marine science was my "thing".

I have memories of sleeping in the back of my VW squareback to save the $10 a night that the small dormitory there, cost. I have memories of the foghorns there, too.

A cruise to Bodega Bay is sounding pretty good right now.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Now this sounds like the direction I am looking for. Lightspeed was always a hassle without a windless. Koke Honu’s anchor is only 4#. She has more space than you might think with the “top up” and tramp camping is fun if not real cold. I am in when possible and we can use Koke Honu as shuttle between boats if not rafted…

I just got back from a six day singlehanded cruise to celebrate having a few days off between jobs.
    Santa Cruz -> Pillar Pt. -> Pier 39 -> Angel Island (2 nights) -> Pillar Pt. -> Santa Cruz.
    I'd hoped to make it it to Drake's Bay but that didn't happen. Next time.

Quote Originally Posted by jyriv View Post
    I just got back from a six day singlehanded cruise to celebrate having a few days off between jobs.
    Santa Cruz -> Pillar Pt. -> Pier 39 -> Angel Island (2 nights) -> Pillar Pt. -> Santa Cruz.
    I'd hoped to make it it to Drake's Bay but that didn't happen. Next time.
    Nice! How was pier 39?

I've done Angel Island a couple times over the years. What I really like about it is, if you can get ashore, there is fantastic trekking on the Island. Also some spectacular views during the walk(s). The fore and aft mooring takes some practice which I clearly need more of given the theatrics during my last visit.

Speaking of the Petaluma River, I was up there a couple years ago on a power boat I used to own. We went all the way to the basin after the lift bridge. There are probably six or seven feet of water on the river (the middle of the river!!) at high tide but you would need to mind your timing. I think the downtown basin depth was reasonable throughout the cycle. There were several sailboats in there while we were there.

But, big but, you don't want to be trapped on the wrong side of the lift bridge on a falling tide. Some guy in a nice 30 something foot trawler missed the bridge and made the mistake of tying up to an old fixed wharf on the north side of the river. His intention was to overnight there and catch the bridge in the morning. Well, the tide went out and he landed in the mud. This would not have been a disaster but the river bed slopes fairly sharply down to the center of the channel. The trawler just slowly laid down slope as the tide went out. Despite a lot of effort in the part of various responders, there was just not enough time to get things sorted before the tide came in. The boat was almost completely flooded at high tide.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 11-15-2018 at 06:19 PM.

The Singlehanded Sailing and Cruising Society. I really like it. I am pretty sure we can get the membership to buy in.
    Please don't. Start another org. for cruisers.