Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friends from the 2018 Transpac

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Friends from the 2018 Transpac

Here's a photo sent by John Colby s/v Iris racing with Mount Hood in the background. That is Iris with the red white and blue spinnaker.

Name:  Iris racing.jpeg
Views: 1745
Size:  12.7 KB

Nice picture! It's certainly a different view from Kauai with that impressive white-topped hill in the background. Thanks for passing it on, Jackie.

Dennis Maggard s/v Pamela, drove up from Palo Alto last week so we could share lunch at the local taco truck. It was a bit disconcerting to see him emerge from a Prius rather than a Crealock, but I recovered. We talked about Hanalei Bay and the SSS, among other, more trivial things. I was reminded of this bit he wrote, and thought it might be of interest to those pondering 2020, which is, according to Lee Johnson, only 574 days away.

http://www.quietmindendlesssea.com/2...-stalking-sss/
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-24-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Here's a real short video from John Colby up on the Columbia River. It looks cold up there:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JOczctQy05bjZ3

Default Carliane Sighting

Due to popular demand, I tracked down Carliane at the Berkeley Marine Center today. She has spent about nine days there putting her boat back together since returning from The Race. Kynntana is now "ready to go again", she says. What does that mean, you might ask? Well, you will have to ask Carliane that yourself. Here she is wearing her belt buckle, looking relaxed and happy.

Name:  Carliane 012919.jpg
Views: 1490
Size:  1.20 MB

Ha, ha. Thanks, Jackie, for tracking me down. I think I've been in a funk for a myriad of reasons the past 6 months. Finally K and I are ready to sail! I do feel relaxed and ready to get back out 'there' again (and answer some long overlooked emails). You all are so awesome. I can't wait to see everyone at the next race 🙂 Here's K with her new slick bottom and fast racing stripe.Name:  IMG_20190128_165234.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  3.44 MB

Oh my goodness, where is everyone? I've got 38 feet of new water line and nicely making way on a bay by myself except for a sail boat under motor and a small fishing boat. Wow, this feels so nice!!!!

If you happen to be in the neighborhood: Wednesday night, February 27 Carliane Johnson will be talking about her participation in the 2018 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race at the Half Moon Bay Yacht Club. Dinner will be served, probably inexpensively, and everyone is incredibly nice down there.

In case you can't make it, here's a little video of Carliane and Kynntana: https://vimeo.com/319597088

Okay, now ya gotta consider driving up to the R2AK! Skip drove up last year, it only took him 15 hours. And lookee here at Shad's team!

https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-rac...-sea-drifters/

What do we know about the Hockings? They are from San Rafael, so if you don't know, make some stuff up! We need to help them beef up their currently-nonexistent bios.
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-27-2019 at 10:22 PM.

This from John Colby: You asked whether it is possible that I’d do the 2020 SHTP. Sure possible but not probable. This May I’m going to crew on the Oregon Offshore which goes from the mouth of the Columbia River to Victoria. Then on Memorial Day weekend we’ll do the Swiftsure which is an out and back from Victoria. We’ll Turn at Neah Bay.

Tomorrow is the last of our winter fun series. There is predicted to be Iris wind, 15 to 20 knots, but right now—Sat morning—it is calm. Oh well.