Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Piper Blog

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Well, Ants, there's another one available for free. It's in Oxnard. It needs work...plenty of work but then this is a VERY simple boat. I've seen photos. The hull is intact. There's a mast and boom. It has a trailer, which might need some cleanup and welding to be capable of moving the boat from Oxnard to your location. There's a shipping container full of "stuff" which needs to be gone through to find all the gear.

But if you are up for the project, I know the current owner would be thrilled to have someone take it on, as he's not even a sailer. It was his Dad's.
    A free boat should be embraced with an abundance of free time. It seems I am over committed for the next decade or so.

If the free offer was a half hull model, I guess I would have to wait in line for my chance.

I imagine there are others who will give special thought to this situation.

I am not Scottish, but imagine my sailing ancestors must have had an influence in naming the town of Uig. Wait, that reminds me of a tale.

My introduction to Scotland came from a family trip in the early ‘80’s. My last name - Uiga, comes from a place name in Estonia. There is no translation to mean something. In the ‘90’s when internet searches were first possible, I would search the last name and usually come up with the immediate family. One time I found the book entitled The Womens Timber Corps by Uiga Robertson. Surprise! I contacted the author by mail and found Uiga Robertson’s dad was enamored with the isle of Uig, so he created Uiga as his daughter’s name. The added response was that Uiga had wished her mother had been a little more insistent.

In my reply, I stated if we had met earlier and married, she could have been Uiga Uiga! That would have given plenty of incentive to change her name.

Cheers,
    Ants

Quote Originally Posted by antsuiga View Post
    a free boat should be embraced with an abundance of free time. It seems i am over committed for the next decade or so.

If the free offer was a half hull model, i guess i would have to wait in line for my chance.

I imagine there are others who will give special thought to this situation.

I am not scottish, but imagine my sailing ancestors must have had an influence in naming the town of uig. Wait, that reminds me of a tale.

My introduction to scotland came from a family trip in the early ‘80’s. My last name - uiga, comes from a place name in estonia. There is no translation to mean something. In the ‘90’s when internet searches were first possible, i would search the last name and usually come up with the immediate family. One time i found the book entitled the womens timber corps by uiga robertson. Surprise! I contacted the author by mail and found uiga robertson’s dad was enamored with the isle of uig, so he created uiga as his daughter’s name. The added response was that uiga had wished her mother had been a little more insistent.

In my reply, i stated if we had met earlier and married, she could have been uiga uiga! That would have given plenty of incentive to change her name.

Cheers,
    ants
    best story ever!
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-01-2022 at 08:31 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

A fourth Piper has cropped up on Facebook. It's in the Hudson Valley, in New York and looks to be in pretty good shape except for the non 1-D rudder.
    Name:  271778902_5202270136449648_8076530347566350685_n.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  113.8 KB
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-01-2022 at 08:31 PM.

That's quite the outboard on it!

Our family's first boat was a 21' hard-chined sloop. It was not a light-weight boat but my dad noticed that due to its hard chines and V-bottom, its Evinrude six at full throttle would almost make it plane. So if six is good, fifteen is better, right? (We were all new at this stuff.) He found a 15 hp Evinrude long shaft and managed to get it mounted on the little stern bracket.

The boat did plane with it - briefly. The whole works pulled right out of the transom and were it not for the safety line, the new engine would have been at the bottom of the Estuary.

Ouch! Great story, Bob!
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-01-2022 at 08:27 PM.

Hi Alan,
    So will you use the lifting sling every time at Treasure Island? Have you had any luck securing a spot?
    Sb

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Now I just need a ballpark estimate from BMC to find out what the topsides paint job will cost. I'm pretty sure it will be prohibitive, I'll likely be painting her myself, though the bottom paint job will go to the BMC.
    I've seen some folks save some money by doing the sanding, priming, sanding, and then the masking themselves, and then BMC sprays the paint.
    I have also seen roll and tip jobs come out looking great, and I've seen them come out like orange peel by DIYers at BMC.
    Your results may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    I've seen some folks save some money by doing the sanding, priming, sanding, and then the masking themselves, and then BMC sprays the paint.
    I have also seen roll and tip jobs come out looking great, and I've seen them come out like orange peel by DIYers at BMC.
    Your results may vary.
    I was quoted $300 a foot for a paint job by the woman on the phone at BMC. That's $7,000.

Mister Tchoup, two ahead of me on the wait list.
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-01-2022 at 08:28 PM.

Lifting frame?

The piper is about the same displacement as an Olson 30. To me, the frame means there is some arrangement where straps go around outside of the hull. The Olson 30 had a rod with a hook that screwed onto the keel bolts.

Is the frame arrangement better that a more simple arrangement? Especially , now that there are high strength dyneema type lines that are relatively simple to splice and use and store (incomplete sentence).

Ants

No keel bolts.
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-01-2022 at 08:29 PM.