Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Fiasco

Default 2019 Fiasco

An ebb at the start? Circle Blackaller just because it's there so close? I'm not falling for that old trick.

And lookee here! Synthia will sail on Eyrie! What was her advice to me? "Clean bottom and be first to set."

Name:  Synthia in Kauai.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  885.5 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 01-16-2019 at 11:00 PM.

When nearly everyone thought clockwise was the way to go, Dirk went counter-clockwise and won the singlehanded division.

It looked wrong the whole time, until he won. So I asked Dirk what possessed him to go that way. His reply: "I always go that way." I may adopt this strategy.

My strategy is to take a sheet of paper rip it in half and write clockwise on one and counter clockwise on the other. I wad both up and put in my pocket. At my 5 min mark I put one out and that’s the way I go. I have a 50/50 chance of being right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    My strategy is to take a sheet of paper rip it in half and write clockwise on one and counter clockwise on the other. I wad both up and put in my pocket. At my 5 min mark I put one out and that’s the way I go. I have a 50/50 chance of being right.
    Rick, I understand that non strategy w Lightspeed, but won’t you have more opportunities/strategies available to you w your new little speed demon?

More options yes. With Lightspeed’s hanked on headsails it was either a 110 or 135 stuck with dock pick, and with no windless no quick anchor hold in place. Now with both jib & screacher (spin/reacher) on furlers and a very small anchor shifting gears and holding in place opens opportunities. Also the tramps are great for suntanning in no wind..

I mostly pick the wrong way. It sometimes works.

Ray Irvine just emailed me asking why the Fiasco registration is down 40 from where it was this time last year. My reply? I DON'T KNOW NOTHING! I've heard nothing, nobody has told me nothing, and that's my story. Huh! I know two things: Boschma is out of the race, something about Scuttlebutt interviewing him up in Seattle. What is that all about and why is their timing so bad? Don't know. Also, I did see DaveH at Trader Joes over the weekend. He's been off the water and out of the competition for awhile now, so I think he was practicing barging at the start with his shopping cart. However, I had starboard so I didn't let him in. Hehehe.

This race perseveres mostly due to amnesia. But some still remember that sucking sound from last year and are waiting to see the forecast before signing up.

Not sure if this is a computer programing issue but for last few days SailFlow has shown little to no wind all day. Now and all of a sudden the early morning spiked to 11-12K with gusts 25-33K. Hard to believe but if it holds the slow boats will get a good send off.....

Wind or no wind, it's STILL a Day on the Bay. Now, if it dumps rain..

but it's not supposed to!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"