View Poll Results: Should Surprise! keep her mizzen?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

9 81.82%
  • Put lawn chairs back there.

2 18.18%

Thread: Surprise!'s Mizzen Poll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Surprise!'s Mizzen Poll

Sailing gurus say that Surprise!'s mizzen is pretty useless. Upwind it lives in the bad air from the main, especially when the traveler is pulled up a bit, and when it's full it's only adding to the weather helm. There are non-racing benefits, the major one being that it adds to the boat's coolness.

But a couple friends have suggested I pull it out and put lawn chairs back there. (For this poll we'll assume that option is figurative.)

Here's your chance to weigh in on the decision.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-25-2019 at 09:52 AM.

No option for coolness?

That would be under "Yes!"

How hard is it to pull to test it out? If you still want the cool look for future formal events just put it back.

It's unstayed so it *should* be pretty easy. But there's some corrosion under there, stainless bolts going through aluminum castings, etc. I have a hunch that once I get it out I'll be slow to put it back.

So I'm doing the easier thing first - I'm taking a poll!

I’d suggest that you really haven’t had enough experience with the mizzen yet to decide. I’ve never owned a yawl (or ketch), but I’ve had boats that had features that were new to me or that I didn’t fully understand. I’ve learned to live with them until they reveal more about themselves. Carl designed that boat to be a yawl. I think you just need more time to get to know her.

Tom

Bob, not sure about the original building intent on sail balance, but it seems like a larger main (maybe more roach or square top) could makeup the lost sail area with less hassle. Not sure how it would effect weather/lee helm. Also if you are more inclined to cruising great place for dinghy, and if you are really wild how about a hot tub?

They built eight of this version and two of them were sloops. The boom was a bit longer on the sloops but everything else was the same.

The hot tub would be flash - but I'm thinking about how to do an e-rudder with all that back there.

You mean like an internal fold down or push down erudder? That would be really cool and keep the stern clean. I guess you could make some kind of a water trunk like some of the small sailboat outboard boxes. How much room do you have back there?

I say don’t make a decision until you’ve sailed solo offshore w that mizzen.