Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: New Rudder for Dura Mater?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I tried fishing around for your 10 lb diving weight Wednesday.
    If the weight isn't stainless, I've got a big magnet on a rope you could use.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    If the weight isn't stainless, I've got a big magnet on a rope you could use.
    It's probably not stainless, but likely is another non-ferrous metal often found around boats.

Magnets don't work any better on Lead... don't ask how I know this.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

Magnets don't work any better on Lead... don't ask how I know this.
    Holding out on the "Don't laugh" thread?

Biting my tongue.

Default The Rudder is here

Dura Mater's new rudder has arrived. Here it is in the back of the station wagon. Isn't it beautiful?

Name:  Foss Rudder.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  444.2 KB

Donald Proull at the Foss Company remembered Ronnie Simpson's rudder and sent me one just like it. Elliptical, whatever that means and designed by Carl Schumacher. That must be good because, according to Christine, boats that are Schumacher below the water are fast boats. Donald put it into the fast track for me, and when I called this morning to thank him his reply was: "Well, you told me you needed it for that Farallones race." Ah!!! Thank you, Donald!

Now what do I have to do? Get a hole drilled into the stainless shaft in JUST the right place, find some a them there washer thingies, paint it, then jump in the water and shove it back in. Greg will help me with the first two. Then I should probably put some epoxy stuff on it before bottom paint, yes? That two part Interconnect 2000 expoxy, right?

Here is my workshop: the front porch.

Name:  on front porch.JPG
Views: 386
Size:  341.4 KB

Yesterday I gave my new tiller four coats of 2000e epoxy, resting it on small bits of waxed paper, which is also useful when rolling out dough for pie. Greg Nelsen says to let it “bake” for a couple of days, during which he is fabricating shims/washers for me.

Gordie Nash, who came in FIRST in the Great Vallejo Race yesterday with Ruth, gave me a wonderful tip that was very helpful. He said that refrigeration halts the catalytic action that causes 2000e to harden. So, in between coats I put my little roller pan on the top shelf in my refrigerator.

Name:  in the fridge.JPG
Views: 511
Size:  235.4 KB

It worked like a dream. To be fair, the refrigerator still smells like epoxy paint this morning, so there is a trade-off.

My new friend John DeMeter told me that he had a quart of blue Trinidad in his garage, saved from when his family owned its last of three Cals. If it was still usable I could have it. So we traded a quart of expensive bottom paint for four pies. What a good deal for me. But he’s allergic to blueberries so I have to be careful not to poison him. His favorite? Marionberry pie. What the hell? Although research suggests that marionberries are only grown in Oregon, John says I can find them just off Highway 80 north of Auburn. Huh. Another travelling adventure, and I can’t take Dura Mater on that one.

I’ve asked Carliane if I can borrow her wetsuit because, once this rudder baking is done I’ll go over to the boat with Greg’s shims to measure for the bolt hole. Then out it comes again for the drilling and I’ve purchased a series of titanium drill bits. I am hopeful that I will be able to sail ‘round the Farallones with my new rudder. It really has taken a village to help me with this project, and I thank everybody for their input. Since my front porch is in Oakland, I just hope my rudder doesn’t get tagged tonight.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-05-2019 at 03:35 PM.

I wonder rudder bearings are on your checklist. The rudder shaft should be the same diameter. The old shaft may have worn so there was play in the bearings. Sometimes the bearings are replaced with new dimensions to take the play out. Before the new rudder goes in, it may be useful to check rudder shaft diameter with old and new rudder. A dial caliper will give useful information, while a tape measure won't.

Just a thought.

Ants

Thanks, Ants. I’m installing today, measuring for bolt holes. Will find out soon enough ...

OOooOOOooOOOoooooo pretty!!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Yikes - epoxy? It never occurred to me to epoxy my new Foss rudder before I slapped bottom paint on it.
    Anyway Jackie, it looks great. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Yikes - epoxy? It never occurred to me to epoxy my new Foss rudder before I slapped bottom paint on it.
    Anyway Jackie, it looks great. Enjoy!
    HA! Epoxy is heavy. Its absence must explain your speed, Max!