Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Rudder for Dura Mater?

Yes! thanks to Carliane, who came down to help me re-install it on Friday. Do I have a video? Of course! However, the battery died before she donned her wetsuit (sorry, kids). We crawled around on the dock for about an hour, got all greasy and laughed alot. It was fun (says the person who didn't get into the water). Video to follow, but the important thing is that DM is now sail able!!! And I'll be replacing her very old small boat windward traveller with a new midrange Harken during the coming week. What could go wrong?

I try to avoid big projects just before a season counter. Murphy's Law.

You people have a lot more fun on your docks up there, than I do at Coyote Point. It's me and Luther Izmirian, and that's about it!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Jackie, dear...you have mail. *poke*

At least the video can show How Not To Do It. Jackie also assured me she will dub it with nice music to protect the guilty from any cussing/inane banter, and also cut out the super cringe-inducing parts. I learn something every time I muck around on boats and we certainly had a lot crazy laughter over it. Who would do this kinda stuff if it weren't fun?!

Yes, there is a certain satisfaction in accomplishing ridiculously difficult projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Yes, there is a certain satisfaction in accomplishing ridiculously difficult projects.
    How right you are, Mr Ashby! And it was ridiculously difficult: https://vimeo.com/329249225

LOL..yeah, I've done that! You lasses had a lot more fun than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    LOL..yeah, I've done that! You lasses had a lot more fun than I did.
    At least the video didn't show me hyperventilating as that frigid water slowly seeped into my wetsuit. I think there was also cussing from Jackie while the rudder was stuck under the dock and would not budge (shhh, you never heard that from me). Yeah, good clean fun...

(FYI - it's galling not corrosion to think about with the new SS bolts and lock nuts. Might want to get some Tefgel. Or ask someone to borrow a bit because a little goes a loooong way.)
    Last edited by Gamayun; 04-12-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    At least the video didn't show me hyperventilating as that frigid water slowly seeped into my wetsuir.
    Yeah, that water didn’t feel so cold on my forearm. Sorry! And I tried fishing around for your 10 lb diving weight Wednesday. A fella in a big boat down the dock has offered to lend me his longer boat hook when it’s low tide. It’s mucky down there but he says it isn’t going anywhere.