Thread: What do you all think of this idea....

Default What do you all think of this idea....

I was reading a thread recently where someone posted about CHESSS, the Chesapeake Short-handed Sailing Society to help people become more confident in their singlehanding capabilities. Someone at CHESSS had told me a while back that they are a shorthanded society rather than singlehanders because they can't get enough people to race solo. They have now started this program called Solo+One. It uses experienced CHESSS singlehanders to observe on boats for skippers who want to get more experience singlehanding. The observer does not interfere unless assistance is needed. Given the depth of experience in our community of singlehanders, I thought this was a nifty program that the SSS might want to consider. Maybe all those doublehanders who come out to SSS races are really singlehander wannabees.

Here's a write up on the Solo+One idea: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/1795e...e1e078e789.pdf

What do you all think about this? It would mean we'd have to sail on OPBs. Certainly not a problem for me!

I'd say they can already do that in the DH division and would only dilute the amount of competitors in each division if your talking about a whole new division.. If the idea is to have someone race with a coach in the singlehanded division I'd be against it. Racing singlehanded in the DH division is already frowned upon.

From the attachment it sounds like these are lessons, not (during) races. I like any idea that gets more skippers to try singlehanding.

I've done this a couple times when skippers hadn't yet invested in an autopilot. I was their "autopilot" and only turned the boat when told (or to avoid a CF). Meanwhile I coached a bit, especially when getting off the dock and back in. I also helped someone get a spinnaker up for the first time on their boat...

Anyway, I'm all for it.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-19-2019 at 01:27 AM.

We could offer coaching? Hmmm. Not sure if I'm qualified to coach or not, though I DID teach sailing back in the day.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Initially I was thinking we could offer a new division during our racing, but I prefer the idea of coaching as CHESSS is offering. I have met a ton of people who really want to learn how to singlehand, but they're just not into racing so I can't even get them to come to our meetings because they are mostly skippers meetings for the races. We might be able to offer this if there's enough interest from a few of the more experienced SSSers. Maybe an introductory seminar about singlehanding so they can meet us (we're not that scary). I don't feel qualified to coach, as I am STILL in learning mode and I still get frustrated figuring out how best to leave a dock. That said, I have plenty of suggestions about what NOT to do when singlehanding

I agree with both Greg and Bob -
    seems like a great idea to offer some sort of lessons or coaching "program"... call it what you will.

I don't think its workable to do this in the context of racing.
    That just seems antithetical to a gentle introduction to single handing;
    competitive aspects completely aside, why introduce the complication of 100 or so other boats maneuvering in close proximity?

anyhow, happy to help teach/coach/guide... whatever you want to call it.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Well that's pretty weird. Apparently I have admin control under my Gamayan log in. Sorry Jackie. I've just deleted your post and inserted my comments instead. That's awkward....
    That's okay. Sorry to have hijacked the thread. I've moved mine to Crew List. Heck, why not try to be more social sailing? No need to change the club mission statement, just invite people out on the water.

Tom Krase of Cover Craft stopped by Dura Mater earlier today. He was very nice to me when I first bought my Navik windvane. He had one on his big beautiful Wiley before he sold it, and took the time to show me how he had it rigged,

Name:  P1050123.JPG
Views: 537
Size:  672.1 KB

what kind of small little cam cleats to buy for the tiller and all that.

Name:  P1050126.JPG
Views: 609
Size:  666.8 KB

I still have the photos for when I attach my Navik. I told him that I was going to try to make friends and would he like to come out with me for the InterClub Series. "Sure," he said. "Why not?" So there you go. That was easy. Maybe he's forgotten how to sail and now I can teach him how to singlehand again. hahahaha
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-19-2019 at 09:51 PM.