Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shtp 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    I am repeating this request here in hopes of raising some interest in assistance with managing the race.

Hello All,

Tentative dates for the race are a start date on or near July 3. I am making arrangements for the "Yellow" beach house once again and need to secure a reservation now.

The house will be open for business starting July 10th, late in the day through the 25th. We can tweak the start date / time a bit as needed. Likely the start would be on Friday, July 3 to avoid a weekend conflict at the Corinthian YC.

Volunteers for event are welcome to comment here or contact me directly. Our past team has been great but I fear some may want a break from the work load.

Areas where help is needed:

Pre race event planning. Hawaii and Calif.
    Inspection coordinator.
    Inspectors.
    Communications coordinator (tracker setup and assignment).
    USCG interface. Publish float plan and gain permit from USCG.
    Day of race PRO and start team.
    Weather services coordinator.
    Finish line management - two people.
    Crash boat coordinator / driver
    Finish line set up.
    Hawaii ship to shore communications organization.
    Press liaison and web page coordination.

Regards,

Brian
    Inspector. Happy to help. Maybe even lead Inspectors. hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    With only 10 months left to go, this SHTP 2020! thread seems a bit lonely. BB is recruiting volunteers elsewhere on the Forum. But who's in the Race fleet? Are you discouraged your heavy duty cruiser is going to be left in the dust?

Here's less than an earthshaking idea...I ain't got no cat in this hunt.

I would suggest to the powers that be, the 2020 RC and/or the SSS Board of Directors, a modest amendment to the SHTP Race Rules and Conditions (RRC), section 15 Ratings, a new part 15.05 that would possibly encourage potential entrants.

This change would be to the SHTP ratings in an attempt to even things up.

My suggestion is creating RRC part 15.05 crediting 3 sec/mi of rating handicap to any entry who certifies his/her plans are for their vessel to leave Hawaii post-2020 SHTP on its own bottom. This credit is not available to anyone planning shipping home, leaving their boat in Hawaii, or with still uncertain plans on June 21, 2020.

The current SHTP situation favors smaller, often dry sailed boats that mostly get shipped home or are sold in Hawaii. Their bottoms, often without bottom paint, are smoother and faster, their boats are lighter as they are only sailing one way, and they generally get out of SF Bay and into the synoptic wind before the "heavies," thusly accordioning their leads.

This amendment would have no bearing on our "Barn Door", the Jack London Trophy, for fastest elapsed time. It probably won't have any bearing on the SHTP corrected time results at all. But it might, and that would be a good thing IMO.
    hmmm
    Don't the big boats that sail home already have an advantage over the small boats in that they sleep in warm dry bunks, eat good food, and can let the autopilot drive most of the way? Seems the small boats are at a disadvantage enough without them giving up 3 more seconds... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Some things just defy reason for spending unholy amounts of time and money to pursue them. It's best not to think of the SHTP in rational terms. You'll just know it's right for you.
    Unholy amounts of money... hmmm
    Race to Hawaii with a crew... just the food bill... lodging for return crew... crew shirts... crew dinner or two... and so on. Doing it alone is relatively low cost (especially after the first time... yes this only makes financial sense if you do it a few times :-) ).

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Besides, any Norbert can FLY to Hawaii - what's the the point of that?
    Flew to Hawaii once... in 1990... learned my lesson... will never go to Hawaii on a plane again (though coming home on a plane from time to time is okay). :-)

Quote Originally Posted by talonf4u View Post
    Thread hijacking? That's usually where the fun stuff starts.

Istvan, like many of us, probably suffers from extreme memory loss when it comes to offshore sailing. Funny how we remember the big air reaches and forget about the day and a half upwind into the teeth of it. I took a GoPro with me for my Bermuda race, and it was really interesting to review it a while after the event. At one point I had some jib issues and wasn't making my layline, and I get a little seasick when the boat is pounding upwind until I get used to it, and I just wasn't doing well at all... and I'd have totally forgotten how I felt in that moment if I hadn't videotaped myself whining about it. Or that time when I was so happy I got the kite down in the squall without breaking anything that I completely forgot to set any kind of balanced or efficient sail combination afterwards... my amnesia is publicly documented on my race video mashup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5-ybx70KJA

Unfortunately the most entertaining parts of that video had to be edited out due to the combination of fatigue and my inherently foul mouth.

I'm interested in the SHTP 1-2 but I fear the inherent limitation is on how much time it would take. Coming back takes a while, especially if you don't get to use your engine.... but I think we could probably organize an informal return race, just for grins, and maybe have some funny rules like, "Each competitor gets 100hrs of motoring at 5kts...."

I wonder if folks here would be interested in doing a "Solotaire du California" on the off years? Like, a Longpac, then a race to Santa Barbra, then back a few days later? Or something to that effect. Informed by someone that actually knows something about West Coast weather, which isn't me.
    The delivery home is the best part of the race! Lets not ruin it by making the return a race. Reading, sleeping, fishing, going swimming, doing maintenance on the winches, gazing at the Milky Way... its the best part of the race (the non race trip home)!

Default Let the preparations Begin

Now that Green Buffalo has chimed in EIGHT TIMES, it must be time to start preparations for 2020. Here is a copy of the 2018 Seminars.

2018 Seminar Poster.pdf

Given the rudder and autopilot issues of this year's Transpac out of Long Beach and our own LongPac, I'm thinking that those topics should attract lots of attention. If you think another topic should be covered, post here.

And what have I learned myself this year? That this club is full of people who will loan you stuff, encourage you in many different ways, and come to your boat to help. So don't think that you have to fabricate your own emergency rudder in your driveway. Maybe you can buy one from someone who has already done that and won't do the race again. Maybe someone will help you make one in his or her workshop/garage/driveway.

Post here and request help. Come to the Skippers' and awards meetings, chat people up at dinner in Half Moon Bay and Vallejo, come to the Cruise Down November 16 and pick some brains, get ideas, ask for help. This is a great club full of generous people.
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-20-2019 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Jim Kept typing

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    To be on safe side, recommend not leaving Kauai to sail to Mainland after third week in September. Before then, you might be delayed in departure by tropicals curving north of the Islands
    Ideally folks should leave Kauai no later then the first week of August. When the first Hurricanes start to spin up to Hawaii. Even the remnants of a Hurricane are enough to avoid. And I am a bit conservative... want to be 'out of Dodge" before August 1. An example of a typical August Hurricane... https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...pacific-hawaii

We are now 309 days away from July 3, 2020, the tentative start date. The 2020 race needs its own topic on the opening main board of this forum. The 2018 race needs to vacate that space and join other past races in the archives. I won't be racing in 2020, but hope to be involved. So getting all things next SHTP onto its own space would be nice.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    We are now 309 days away from July 3, 2020, the tentative start date. The 2020 race needs its own topic on the opening main board of this forum. The 2018 race needs to vacate that space and join other past races in the archives. I won't be racing in 2020, but hope to be involved. So getting all things next SHTP onto its own space would be nice.
    And I'll post my bid to host one of the prep seminars as soon as that happens.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    If someone with deeper forum magic wants to create the new sub-forum and move the old one, I can move the recent SHTP posts. That's the only part I know how to do.