Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shtp 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    . . . What if we were to create a SHTP 1-2?
    We had a pretty nice flotilla coming back in 2018 -- 8 racers as I recall, about half with crew and half single handed. Besides the SHTP boats we had Rob on Tiger Beetle, Mike and Angie on Madrone, and maybe another I am forgetting. Most had SSB and there was a roll call each morning and evening; almost everyone was in touch by email. It was a great time, and a really neat shared adventure. Why would you want to ruin that by turning it into a race? :-)
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    We had a pretty nice flotilla coming back in 2018 -- It was a great time, and a really neat shared adventure. Why would you want to ruin that by turning it into a race? :-)
    I have to agree with Lee. The idea of turning the return into some kind of race crossed my mind, however, having the pressure of competition, even friendly, would have spoiled it.
    I did not relish the idea of sailing back after the SHTP. I was pretty wiped out, but after I was halfway back, my wife said it best, I started to love my boat again.

Which brings us back to the original post. There is the option of getting someone / crew to sail her back for you.
    Please don't open the insurance/liability can of worms, just say it's not an option if it isn't. There are other forums for that discussion.

Nice video, Steve. Congrats on the great finish! Some of us have talked about a Channel Islands trip (solo or not).

Despite the suggestion, which was meant to be provocative, I agree with Lee and Greg about not creating a SHTP 1-2. I ran the engine almost exactly 100 hours at 5 knots and would have definitely not been up for a "race" back after the solo one. It was great to be part of the twice daily comms and the camaraderie with the return fleet, as well as knowing that Nightmare and Madrone were part of the roll call even though they couldn't talk directly to us. I heartily recommend a "formal" net instead on future returns....an all for one and one for all, kinda thing.

I remember....once upon a time...

a mess of racers, spouses, friends and all, around a fire in Hanalei...

and "Hanalei 1-2" SSS t-shirts.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

With only 10 months left to go, this SHTP 2020! thread seems a bit lonely. BB is recruiting volunteers elsewhere on the Forum. But who's in the Race fleet? Are you discouraged your heavy duty cruiser is going to be left in the dust?

Here's less than an earthshaking idea...I ain't got no cat in this hunt.

I would suggest to the powers that be, the 2020 RC and/or the SSS Board of Directors, a modest amendment to the SHTP Race Rules and Conditions (RRC), section 15 Ratings, a new part 15.05 that would possibly encourage potential entrants.

This change would be to the SHTP ratings in an attempt to even things up.

My suggestion is creating RRC part 15.05 crediting 3 sec/mi of rating handicap to any entry who certifies his/her plans are for their vessel to leave Hawaii post-2020 SHTP on its own bottom. This credit is not available to anyone planning shipping home, leaving their boat in Hawaii, or with still uncertain plans on June 21, 2020.

The current SHTP situation favors smaller, often dry sailed boats that mostly get shipped home or are sold in Hawaii. Their bottoms, often without bottom paint, are smoother and faster, their boats are lighter as they are only sailing one way, and they generally get out of SF Bay and into the synoptic wind before the "heavies," thusly accordioning their leads.

This amendment would have no bearing on our "Barn Door", the Jack London Trophy, for fastest elapsed time. It probably won't have any bearing on the SHTP corrected time results at all. But it might, and that would be a good thing IMO.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-06-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Nice idea, Skip. Unfortunately, I'm going to be doing the PacCup next year. It'll consist of a full crew of 4. Then rinse and repeat on the SF return again

I am repeating this request here in hopes of raising some interest in assistance with managing the race.

Hello All,

Tentative dates for the race are a start date on or near July 3. I am making arrangements for the "Yellow" beach house once again and need to secure a reservation now.

The house will be open for business starting July 10th, late in the day through the 25th. We can tweak the start date / time a bit as needed. Likely the start would be on Friday, July 3 to avoid a weekend conflict at the Corinthian YC.

Volunteers for event are welcome to comment here or contact me directly. Our past team has been great but I fear some may want a break from the work load.

Areas where help is needed:

Pre race event planning. Hawaii and Calif.
    Inspection coordinator.
    Inspectors.
    Communications coordinator (tracker setup and assignment).
    USCG interface. Publish float plan and gain permit from USCG.
    Day of race PRO and start team.
    Weather services coordinator.
    Finish line management - two people.
    Crash boat coordinator / driver
    Finish line set up.
    Hawaii ship to shore communications organization.
    Press liaison and web page coordination.

Regards,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    I am repeating this request here in hopes of raising some interest in assistance with managing the race. Regards, Brian
    Of course I would be delighted to help again. However, I have some caveats: my favorite parts were

1. swimming out to the Sea Squirrel in that warm water under the stars in the middle of the night;

2. laughing uproariously when the Sea Squirrel wouldn't start, listening to the Queen of the Sea Squirrel curse loudly;

Name:  Queen of the Sea Squirrel.png
Views: 1052
Size:  807.2 KB

3. banging up against incoming boats and jumping aboard while the boats continued to sail because the sailors had forgotten how to stop;

4. Greeting blank-eyed, sleep deprived, hoarse sailors;

5. Being mistaken for a bag lady while carrying Cliff's laundry up from the beach.

Name:  bag lady of Hanalei Bay.JPG
Views: 1411
Size:  718.4 KB

If I could do any or all of that again, I'm in.

Default E-Rudder... if I have two rudders?

Quote Originally Posted by talonf4u View Post
    In 2014, I sold my Moore 24 and migrated to the other coast. I never made it to Hawaii in the Moore--I think I sailed about five shorthanded races, total--but the idea was firmly planted.

Later this year I should complete an un-migration and return. I can't claim to be coming back a local, as I'll be stuck in northern NV, but the boat will live in SF Bay and I'm already plotting for 2020! I have a new weapon, a Jeanneau Sun Fast 3200, and she is thirsty for some Mai Tais.

I have a couple of questions I'd like to pitch to the audience.

I am not rightly sure what my employer thinks of these plans, but I am concerned I won't be able to be take enough time off to sail the boat home. I'd be obliged if anyone could give me a ballpark figure on what it would take to send her home on a ship. I would imagine it's a trip of close to three weeks on her own keel.

The boat's equipped with a twin rudder/twin tiller setup. When I did the Bermuda 1-2 in 2017, I met the emergency tiller requirement with the combination of having two of both-and showing I could keep the weather one in the water if the leeward one was gone- as well as having a backup plan of doing the old spin pole off the transom number. Would any of the kind folks who know about such things weigh in on whether or not that would meet the requirements of the SHTP?

Am I getting ahead of myself? When I can't sail, I like to plan for sailing!

Steve
    Note there has been a few examples of twin rudder boats losing both rudders (the design or fabrication flaw that led to one rudder failing eventually led to the second rudder failing). So though the RC might say your having two rudders is "good enough", I suggest you still bring an appropriately sized "steering drogue" - so you can get to Hawaii in the eventuality you lose both rudders. Never mind if you have much cant to your rudders, it may prove impossible to steer the boat on one tack.

Note PacCup (first start) is June 29th... so there will be a good number of "probes" on the water we'll be able to learn from. :-)