Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shtp 2020!

I am particularly terrible at talking about, or really even figuring out, why I'm so into this ridiculous, expensive, somewhat dangerous venture of singlehanding offshore.

I'm the kind of guy that likes things to go smoothly, and likes simple chains of causation when things do not go smoothly. When I'm singlehanding, I know just who to be proud of when things work, and exactly who to blame when things go sideways. That is crazy comforting to me.

Dolphins playing in your bow wave is magical. Dolphins playing in your bow wave at night, visible by the plankton they're activating, is life changing.

Setting your own schedule in all things is excellent.

A perfectly trimmed and balanced boat that doesn't really need you at all to make best speed is a source of satisfaction.

An anxiety, confronted and conquered alone, is better than any other kind.

Weirdly, the other soloists you encounter are easy to socialize with. Perhaps it's because you, a fellow soloist, are one of the few people that doesn't need to question their strange affection for the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by talonf4u View Post
    I am particularly terrible at talking about . . . singlehanding offshore.
    Doubt that. Because your written description is not terrible.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Some things just defy reason for spending unholy amounts of time and money to pursue them. It's best not to think of the SHTP in rational terms. You'll just know it's right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by talonf4u View Post
    Perhaps it's because you, a fellow soloist, are one of the few people that doesn't need to question their strange affection for the sport.
    So true. All of us "weirdos" may not fully understand why we spend so much time and money (and risk) for this race - we just know that we have to do it because it's there.

Besides, any Norbert can FLY to Hawaii - what's the the point of that?

There is a world that exists outside of human kinds control and manipulation.
    For a short time we get to experience and exist in harmony with it.

People tell me I'm crazy, I just smile.

So many good comments, takes me right there.

Has anyone ever sailed back via Alaska and the Aleutian Islands?
    Jim Murphy, void star, Santa Cruz 40

Quote Originally Posted by nrdmao View Post
    Has anyone ever sailed back via Alaska and the Aleutian Islands?
    I think Michael Jefferson (Mouton Noir) did it one year. I don't recall how far north he went though remember him saying that things shut down there around September. If Mike doesn't pipe up here directly, I'll send him a note.

Steve, I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but since the title is generic SHTP2020, I thought I'd post the following quote from Istvan Kopar who recently finished the GGR after a ton of difficulties. Latitude 38 reported that he said, "I think I’m done with sailing now and will take up gardening instead." Is anyone taking bets as to how long before he goes to sea again?

Curious who else is planning to go again on the SHTP? How does the Bermuda 1-2 compare? What if we were to create a SHTP 1-2? How crazy is that idea? Who's ready for the LongPac? Inquiring minds wanna know

Oh, I forgot that I was going to ask Michael about his AK trip from Kauai. Will send him a text now...

Thread hijacking? That's usually where the fun stuff starts.

Istvan, like many of us, probably suffers from extreme memory loss when it comes to offshore sailing. Funny how we remember the big air reaches and forget about the day and a half upwind into the teeth of it. I took a GoPro with me for my Bermuda race, and it was really interesting to review it a while after the event. At one point I had some jib issues and wasn't making my layline, and I get a little seasick when the boat is pounding upwind until I get used to it, and I just wasn't doing well at all... and I'd have totally forgotten how I felt in that moment if I hadn't videotaped myself whining about it. Or that time when I was so happy I got the kite down in the squall without breaking anything that I completely forgot to set any kind of balanced or efficient sail combination afterwards... my amnesia is publicly documented on my race video mashup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5-ybx70KJA

Unfortunately the most entertaining parts of that video had to be edited out due to the combination of fatigue and my inherently foul mouth.

I'm interested in the SHTP 1-2 but I fear the inherent limitation is on how much time it would take. Coming back takes a while, especially if you don't get to use your engine.... but I think we could probably organize an informal return race, just for grins, and maybe have some funny rules like, "Each competitor gets 100hrs of motoring at 5kts...."

I wonder if folks here would be interested in doing a "Solotaire du California" on the off years? Like, a Longpac, then a race to Santa Barbra, then back a few days later? Or something to that effect. Informed by someone that actually knows something about West Coast weather, which isn't me.