Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round the Rocks 2019

Default Round the Rocks 2019

Registration is open on Jibeset here: https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T008165961
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-26-2019 at 07:01 PM.

If anyone takes pictures, we're trying a new thing to post them one the SHTP web page. If we can post it, please send me the link at webmaster (sfbaysss.org).

1054 max ebb at the gate.
    Pretty heavily reinforced by the runoff.

I talked to Tim the harbormaster at Richmond Yacht Club and he said there should be room for some boats at the docks after the race. The Big Dinghy is on Saturday also so watch out for kids and adults racing in Potrero Reach and using the dock near the hoist. If your so inclined head up to the club for a post race post-mortem. Tim's number is
    (510) 234-6959. Or VHF 16 to hail.

Brief recap: The folks at the office were not pleased when told I was going racing yesterday - TS

Despite the RC's prediction of 2 knots at start time, we had good breeze! I got a great start (almost too great) and had a nice ebb-induced lift up to the tip of Alcatraz. Others reported some bizarre current at the corner - the island's mooring chains must have been loose.

Expecting the same ebb-powered lift up to Harding, I tacked close to the island with high hopes. Suddenly the rig went slack. The jib on its foil was flopping around and I started looking for a place to duck. The new Harken double-acting hydraulic backstay had lost pressure and gone slack. Loose knob? I checked it and started pumping, to no avail. Boats started passing me. I jury-rigged some Spectra around the end fittings and got enough tension back in the rig to roll up the jib, then considered my options. More boats passed me.

Not wanting to withdraw and go home, I took another look at my jury rig and tightened it again. The wind was easing. More boats passed me. Against my better judgement I hoisted the socked J/105 runner I just bought from Joe Barry. That did not go well, as some of you probably observed.

So I sailed very slowly against the ebb up to The Brothers, seeing blistering SOG of 1-3 knots. It was painful. Sometimes WOW with the pole and sometimes not, while trying to sail up the shoal to Red Rock to stay out of the deep water. Once around 'da bros, I kept the main oversheeted for headstay tension and was able to get back down Bay.

So I made it around the course, with the reward of a beer with a bunch of other racers at the club afterwards. Our RC Chair and his wife tried to convince me that Mexico is a great place to go cruising. I wonder what that means.

This morning I texted my boss, who replied "No, you don't need to come in today." I wonder what that means.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-14-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Others reported some bizarre current at the corner - the island's mooring chains must have been loose.
    That current was weird. Like the island was a spider web and we the flies ("Come on over thissaway! You'll like it!"). Lots of boats there at the same time. Went from sailing sideways just west of Alcatraz to a flat swirling at its south end, then we all got spat out the westerly side into bigger wind again and rolling waves. Fun, though.

It's been a long time since I was THAT slow in a race. The boat is 6 months overdue for a haulout and I can NOT figure out the Pelagic.

Also the new rudder goes hard over just as fast as the old one did. Let go of it. WHAM...it's gone. I think it may have to do with the inherent nature of the boat, a HUGE mainsail and tiny foretriangle. I did a huge spin-out right at Alcatraz, scared me to death...I thought I was going to hit it.

Anyway, that was my ugliest race in a while... I did get some pictures, though....will post.
    Last edited by AlanH; 04-14-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Hey Alan,

Email me. Lets take your boat and tune up the AP. Can upgrade the SW. Isn't your boat in the S Bay ?

Brian

Default Red Sky got off the pile of beer bottles it was resting on and into the RtR

The boat was 20 seconds from a nice start when the jib sheet came off the. That led to an over early and moving away from the line while getting under control. Three more starts went past before she was clear of the line. Nice day for a sail however. Great weather, winds, and the return trip to the south Bay was filled with 30+ knot winds. Quick run down the Bay in the big flood.

I got to watch Bob J. tune up his kite sock while running through Raccoon St. Nice finish on his new boat.

Brian

I was tuning up my repertoire of expletives. Perhaps it was just as well - I told the guys on Old School that had the spinnaker filled (instead of wrapped) and if we'd had enough breeze, I might have dropped the rig by trying to fly a spinnaker without a backstay.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-15-2019 at 11:53 PM.