Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Round the Rocks 2019

Five more....I might have to wait until tomorrow!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    The boat was 20 seconds from a nice start when the jib sheet came off the. That led to an over early and moving away from the line while getting under control. Three more starts went past before she was clear of the line.

Brian
    I heard “red sky, over early” on the radio and laughed out loud. Boschma is back and introducing chaos theory again, and where it belongs: On The Water. Welcome back, Brian!

Couple more...

Name:  IMG_2319.JPG
Views: 776
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2313.JPG
Views: 820
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2322.JPG
Views: 811
Size:  84.3 KB

AND THAT'S IT.

If anybody wants high res versions of the above, I have them.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is changing the topic from photos (very nice!) to protests (not so very nice!). I see two SSS boats have been tossed out of the Round the Rocks. Since the SSS stopped constituting its own Protest Committee and relied on the local USSA Judges, things have gotten "interesting." Several years ago I was involved in the Corinthian Race smash up. The case was turned over to the judges - that's sort of like skipping the California Superior Court and sending the case directly to the Supreme Court. On the scheduled date, which i begged be changed, I was in Madison, Wisc. where I'd accompanied a close friend with Parkinsons Disease so he could visit his only brother who was dying from brain cancer. So, I spent almost 5 hours on my cell phone in a motel room very late at night (Wisc. time) participating in a Protest Hearing where I couldn't see diagrams, read statements, etc. On top of all that, the Judges decided to use this case as a "teaching exercise" so there were a group of wanna be Judges present. Much of the time was spent "teaching" the students. There were errors on several statements that I tried to correct over the phone, but often I couldn't be heard over the "teaching" that was going on. Long story short I was tossed out. Okay, I really don't give a flying .Sh.... for that. It was just a sailboat race. But I still think it was unfair and a breech of Protest Committee standards that SSS felt it necessary to rush forward and not delay until I was back in the Bay Area. I could hear the discussion between the sitting Judge and the students; there was a lot of discussion about the"metal" fitting on the end of my boom almost "snapping" a backstay. I tried over and over to break in with the fact that a Wyliecat's clew fitting is fiberglass, not metal. How could fiberglass "break" stainless cable? I don't think I wasn't successful in being heard over the phone. And then of course there were the frequent breaks when the connection was lost and I had to dial up and get back on line, not knowing what had been said in the meantime. A big F.....ing mess!!!!
    So, my serious advice to SSS folks is that unless there's a collision with serious enough damage to create an insurance claim (and I know USSA Judes decisions aren't supposed to be used in insurance claims, but they are) I'd take a pass on protesting. If it's a bruised ego, take a pass. If you have to crash jibe, take a pass. If you have to ease the sheet to take a stern, take a pass. Don't get involved in SSS Protests!!! You're not likely to win. There's nothing USSA Judges like to do more than sit around discussing arcane interpretations of the RRS. Go out, race, have fun, forgive. Pat Broderick