Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 LongPac Update

Default 2019 LongPac Update

This is to let people know that preparations for the 2019 LongPac (July 3-9) are under way. We will be opening registrations soon through Jibeset, with publication of the NOR, SIs, safety equipment list, and communication plan. The 2017 documents are a good general guide to the race and can be found here: https://www.sfbaysss.org/main/longpac-2017/.

A heads-up: there will be changes to the communications plan this year to make it more consistent with the Singlehanded Transpac requirements. This includes the requirement for a satellite tracker on each boat (Spot, InReach, IridiumGo) and the elimination of SSB as an option for daily check-ins.

I (Tom Boussie) will serving as race chair. Feel free to reach out to me directly (650-248-eight one six four, tboussie at gmail dot com, or PM me on this forum). if you have any questions.

Please reply to this thread if you are considering doing the race so that we can begin to get a high-level headcount.

That's the plan. The projects are numerous and in process.

Not that I have a dog in this fight one way or the other, but why would you eliminate SSB as an option for check in? At least keep it in for people who'd like to check their gear and will have some incentive to do so. I wish I'd had mine ready for that -- I finally figured things out during the long haul back...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Not that I have a dog in this fight one way or the other, but why would you eliminate SSB as an option for check in? At least keep it in for people who'd like to check their gear and will have some incentive to do so. I wish I'd had mine ready for that -- I finally figured things out during the long haul back...
    The reality, from my POV, is that the logistics of running the race over an extended time frame, compounded by vagaries of SSB in a mast dense environment, make the RC playing a role in a twice or even once daily radio not generally practical from Urban SF.
    That doesn't necessarily preclude SSB as an option to check in; one could check in to shore support on the SSB; assuming an email or phone call from shore side support is still accepted for the Proof of Life daily check-in / Confirmation.
    one way or the other, the race is meant to test systems for the SHTP, so it makes sense to me to align them as much as is foreseeable.
    If you plan to use your SSB a lot on the SHTP, great, by all means test the systems.
    By the same token, requiring the tracker makes sense to me if it will be required for Kauai;
    speaking from experience the tracker data is much more accessible to the RC, USCG, Web Site Feed, etc. and simplifies things a great deal generally, which is non trivial.

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 04-18-2019 at 06:53 PM.

I plan to participate. I am schlepping down to the Bay next month for the SH Farallons and then back again in July for the LongPac. Preparations have been several years in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Rider View Post
    I plan to participate. I am schlepping down to the Bay next month for the SH Farallons and then back again in July for the LongPac. Preparations have been several years in the making.

Island Rider - Can you elaborate on your boat? Schlepping down from were? SH or DH?

Tom

If I had the surplus funds I would have installed an SSB.
    I didn't miss having it during Long Pac or the SHTP
    For Long Pac I used the InReach for tracking and coms.
    During the SHTP I added the Iridium Go for WX, email, and voice calls.
    Returning from Hanalei I used a portable SSB receiver to listen to the net.

At this time it looks like i will have another commitment on July 6.
    Which means I won't be planning to do the race, but will be available for race committee. Except Saturday and Sunday.

Tom
    I am coming from Friday Harbor WA. Single handed on a B-25. I have been doing single handed races here in the Northwest for several years getting the boat dialed in.
    Derek

Default Lookee Here!

Last edited by Philpott; 04-25-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Nice! I can hear those thundering hoofs.

Note the big genoa is ready to hoist if the wind goes light outside. Think he's done this a few times?