Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 LongPac Update

Hi Michael -
    you're on the right track with the AIS... the baseline is to upgrade your existing VHF to one with AIS reception and display. Most people seem to have settled on Standard Horizon's version of this... current model# is, I think, the GX2200.
    What you will want is the model with integrated AIS and GPS. Probably in the neighborhood of $250-300; you'd simply replace the ICOM.
    Doubtful that there is a rental solution available that fits the requirements, but I don't know.

Tracker's are a somewhat more personal choice.
    The current LongPac rules allow both Iridium Satellite based units (Garmin's (ne DeLorme) various InReach models; Also the Iridium GO!) as well as Spot's units, which use the Globalstar system.
    As long as you can send a message from it, you're probably OK.
    For my money, I would favor the Iridium units; that's based on the satellite coverage. Iridium is a truly global system... Globalstar is primarily land-centric.
    Notably, Spot is unlikely to be accepted for the SHTP for this reason.

DH

If you like to tinker ... Consider Daisy AIS receiver or similar widgets :-)

I'm currently running the Standard Horizon GX2200 w/AIS receive.
    The manual is clear and setting up the proximity warning alarm is fairly simple.

The in reach explorer tracker, for me, allows tracking, text messaging, simple weather and low cost data plan.
    These first two items were all I used for the 2017 LongPac.

I used the iridium go during the SHTP. Allowed me to send some photos, text, email, download GRIBS, and GMDSS, will also do tracking duties.

Thanks guys... Great tips, sounds like the GX2200 would be a good fit!
    M

Great radio. For <$100 you can broadcast the GPS and AIS to wifi to be received by charting applications on tablets and phones.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I know I slept better knowing the ships could see me, as well as me seeing them. It's a bigger investment in kit though.

And an onslaught of entries on this final day to do so. I predict Bob will be much more comfortable than many.

I may have to forgo the bath on this trip. At certain angles the hot water sloshes over the edge of the tub.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I may have to forgo the bath on this trip. At certain angles the hot water sloshes over the edge of the tub.
    Good one ...

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Well, that's one way to clean your bilge.