Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Collective SSS Memory...

My t-shirt drawer has two from the 1984 and 1985 3BF. One was blue and the other red.

Ants

The check showed 1985 was blue, and 1984 was absent. I wouldn't trust my memory alone on 1984 color.

To help understand the origins of the Three Bridge Fiasco Race, it may be useful to relate some of my sailing background. This will come in parts, since my prior long post was lost in the digital abyss.

Since the late 1950's, every summer was spent on Lake Bomoseen in Vermont. School was over around Memorial Day and we headed north, with a return around Labor Day. There were row boats, canoes, powerboats, and sailboats spread over those years. Before having a driver's license, the powerboat was preferred. The sailing dinghy was fun when it arrived with its lateen (Sunfish) rig.

When I finally got my college degree and had a professional job, there was money to spend. The choice was between a motorcycle or a sailboat. I recalled there was always someone with a limp in a motorcycle shop, so a 19-foot Lightning class sailboat was purchased. It was no coincidence since Lake Bomoseen had a Lightning fleet that raced on a regular basis.

(To be continued)

Ants - sorry, yes, this forum times you out if you take too long writing a post. It's exasperating, and I don't know if there's a way to give people more time.

There are a couple tricks to work around this problem. You can create your post in another place, like a word-processing program or even as an e-mail, and then copy and paste it into a new message on here when it's finished.

Or copy (save) your unfinished post every few minutes by dragging your mouse over it from beginning to end so it's all blue, right clicking, and selecting copy. This will save what you've written so far, if you get timed out. If that happens, log in again, reply to the thread and in the window, right click and paste what you saved from the cyber clip-board.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-08-2019 at 09:06 AM.

I, too, have my 1989 Farallones Mug, which I use frequently. I finally tracked Ants down in 1985 to get signed up for the SSS - it took almost a year. I believe he was working at an East Bay bank. In those days it was all phone and mail, so communications were often phone-tags. Shama called and said I was the new SSS Secretary/Treasurer as soon as she received my membership form and dues. Shama knew me from my service as Sausalito Cruising Club Race Chair and Newport 30 Class Chairman. We'd also touched bases when I was various officers in the Coronado 25 Association in previous years. I'd stop by the Mill Valley P.O. to pick up mail and go to Peter's office where the SSS Executive meetings were held. I'd open envelopes, sort bills, log checks into a ledger, and Shama would pay bills and deposit checks. I'd also sign a bunch of blank checks so she could counter sign and pay bills in between meetings. From there I "worked" my way up through all the other offices, but often found myself back as secretary/treasurer somehow.
    About the blanket trophy. Being "secretary/treasurer involved arranging for race mementos and trophies. Around 1990 or so winners began to say they had too many of those 5X8 wooden plaques and tee shirts, so we began handing out "practical" trophies. Lina and I shopped for "nautical themed" prizes: blankets, WM gift cards, winch handles, seat cushions, early versions of head lamps, etc. We'd attach an engraved tag with the race information. I still use a chart book cover I won in a race, although the tag has long since vanished.
    For race mementos we began handing out caps, license plate frames, cups, glasses, bags and such instead of tees. "Trophies" for the HMB race came from a box of unclaimed "trophy things" with winners going up and picking out a "thing" as their trophy. Although I no longer use it, I have the headlamp I won for a First in Class in a HMB race. If there were unclaimed trophies left, the non-winners dived in.
    Pat Broderick

BobJ - thanks for the note about timing out. Now, I know why my post fizzled. Cut and paste works nicely, but my computer died. It is a joy and inconvenience to not have it.

Patrick - thanks for the SSS memories and taking over the Commodore job when I moved to So Cal in 1990. I have been sharing memories with Dan and Linda. It is fun for us old timers and hope the newer folks see the fun that keeps the SSS going.

Back to Vermont, I sailed the Lightning, had no disasters and thought I would enter in one of the races on the lake. Well we started close to everyone, but that was the last time we saw them. The race committee did not wait for us to finish. They took the finish line and went home.

Not to be discouraged, a regional regatta was announced for Lake Champlain. We attended a very windy regatta. Our upwind performance lacked a flat main, so with lots of flogging we inched upwind. Our not so stellar performance was put out of its misery when the windward quick release upper shroud shook loose and the mast broke.

The new aluminum mast was on the boat when I moved to CA in 1977 and brought the Lightning along.

Ants

Some some legacy license plate frames too!

For years while the SSS was headquartered in Marin, there was a storage unit just across the Richmond Bridge. It made sense since the membership meetings were held in the old Oakland YC so a stop in Richmond on the way to a meeting or coming back was easy. When the SSS moved its operation from Marin to the East Bay, a decision was made to give up the storage unit. That year SSS donated over a thousand tee-shirts that hadn't been pick up to BaHaHa boats who took them south to hand out. For the casual observer it must have appeared there were more SSS members south of the border than in SF. Boxes of mugs and glasses went to local charity stores. We passed out lic. plate frames, burgees, and other nicknacks to SSS skippers. I took 3 frames and the to part of the 3rd and last is on the van on the driveway. Pat

Patrick, you probably tracked me down at an engineering firm with an office at the Clairmont / Fairmont Hotel in Berkeley. It was great to read that SSS swag was moving all along the Pacific Coast.

When I arrived in Palo Alto, I rented on of the small tract houses next to the Bayshore Freeway. The landlord was so happy about buying the house for $60k. I was aghast when comparing to NH prices. I went looking to buy a cruising sailboat instead.

To be continued

Even though I had the Lightning, a cruising boat was sought. I bought AKKA, a Dutch built, traditional cruising boat built in 1964. Although it was nicely designed for cruising the European canals, AKKA was entered and finished the 2nd OSTAR race in 1966 with Valentine Howells as skipper. The boat had the Hasler self-steering gear on the transom and state of the art B & G instruments. The hull was rounded steel with 1-inch thick teak decks and traditional mahogany cabin sides. At a displacement of 16,000 pounds, it was more comfortable than fast.

Since I was living in Palo Alto, the closest marine store was the fledgling West Coat Ropes. The staff includes Chuck Hawley, the SSS commodore at the time, and Peter Costello who drew the SSS Geek and other graphic art. In 1983 (about), Chuck asked me if I was interested in being race chair for the SSS. My obvious lack of experience did no stop me from saying Yes.

At the time, the races were the Singlehanded Farralons, the Vallejo 1-2, the singlehanded Transpac every other year, and maybe an ocean race to Half Moon Bay or Drakes Bay.

The SSS Board was interested in more races so the search began.

In 1983 and 1984, the YRA calendar was as full as it is now. Finding an open weekend was a challenge. George Sigler solved this problem with the initial Singlehanded Farralons Race by scheduling it on Easter Sunday. There were no sailing conflicts with other events.