Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 SSS Cruise Down

Tom B just sent us this image, which is probably right (they've been installing new docks).

If you're coming by boat and you're not on yesterday's e-mail thread, please send me an e-mail. I may be way off on the boat count and lunch reservations.

We're just popping into Ballena Bay for a late lunch - the overnight destination is still Sierra Point in Brisbane and you can crooze directly there if you prefer.

Name:  Ballena Bay (800x460).jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  134.4 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-19-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Default 2019 Cruise Down Part One

Saturday morning 11.16.19
    Dura Mater exited Potrero Reach at the same time as did Bob Johnston’s Surprise! and Tony Bourque’s Circe. Greg Ashby was crew aboard Bob’s Blue Boat and Tony’s crew were Patch Garcia, Mary Lovely and Jim Quanci. Tony usually crews for Jim, Jim usually crews for Mary … you get the idea. They all know their way around a sailboat. Tony now has his own charter business and a captain’s license, so if you know a small group of 6 who might be interested in chartering a boat nicer than yours, click here:

www.sailblackbeard.com

Yeah, it’s a big, spacious 44’ Freedom. Luxurious, even. Almost as swanky as Dura Mater, though without her distinctive coziness.

Name:  Circe.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  122.3 KB

And boy, was it foggy on the bay. All over the bay! As I approached Blossom Rock under motor I listened carefully to VTS on Channel 14 and learned that a big ship was offshore 20 minutes from the gate and headed east. So I decided to cross the channel early, hoping to hug the bottom of the cityfront. As I approached the Bay Bridge I found Tom Boussie on JouJou, under sail and inching along in a nonchalant way toward McCovey Cove. Sailing slowly, but under sail!

Name:  JouJou smiling in McCovey Cov - Copy.JPG
Views: 672
Size:  632.6 KB

Well, that embarrassed me. Am I not a sailor? So I raised my sail, and tried to make way. But alas. JouJou has way better sails and had a better sailor aboard, too.
    So I turned the engine back on and made my way toward McCovey Cove, discovering Mike Mannix and Linda Farrabee along the way motorsailing Harp. We all made our way to McCovey Cove, where Randy Leisure waited with Tortuga, and Sam Turner, a new SSS member with another pretty blue boat, Frances.

Appearing alongside was another new SSS member, Jeff Scott.

Name:  Tim Scott.JPG
Views: 701
Size:  141.2 KB

Jeff is a colleague of Randy’s. Later in the evening, after a few Dark and Stormys, and after he won the annual Captain Ron movie prize for youngest sailor, Jeff confessed that he was inspired by the Captain Ron movie, wanted to impress people with his motoring skills at marina docks, and so that was the impetus for the purchase of a large beautiful sailboat.

Name:  IMG_7217.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  236.6 KB

Regardless of Jeff's decision-making skills, he was on the water, in the fog, singlehanded, last Saturday. Gotta be impressed, and I was.

Bob Johnston had made reservations for us all to stop off in Ballena Bay for lunch at Pier 29 Restaurant. As we headed across the bay the fog got more and more dense, and we all made heavy use of our air horns, which I certainly enjoyed. We couldn’t see SF or Alameda shorelines, little buoys, big buoys or even ships until we were on almost on top of them.

Shortly before my chart plotter informed me that I was approaching the entrance to Ballena Bay Marina JouJou informed us via channel 69 that his engine had stopped. Circe immediately diverted from less than 100 yards away and caught Tom’s towline, pulled him the short distance into the marina, whereupon the fog lifted and the sun came out. Of course!

There were twelve of us at lunch and the food tasted good to me. Thanks, Bob, for organizing that.

After lunch we headed across the bay, leaving JouJou and her skipper behind, at his insistence. Deferred maintenance, Tom called it, and for his penance he bought and installed all this, then missed the party

Name:  fuel filters.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  216.5 KB

See the next post
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-19-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Default 2019 Cruise Down Part Two

Over at Sierra Point Yacht Club in Brisbane Marina we met up with Alan and Joan Hebert on Alan’s Wildcat of Loch Awe, and Cliff Shaw on Rainbow. David Herrigel and Synthia Petroka arrived via land yachts.

Cliff and Greg both brought chili, for which they were rewarded with black aprons. I don’t have a photo ‘cause my phone was dead by that time.
    Synthia was particularly organized in the way she collected chili samples

Name:  IMG_7216.JPG
Views: 637
Size:  426.3 KB

The next morning found people walking the dock mooching breakfast bits from the bigger boats. Mike and Linda had cheerios

Name:  IMG_7225.JPG
Views: 547
Size:  251.9 KB

Bob had frosted mini-wheats, which warrant no photo. Circe had warm croissants on offer, and the crowd finally landed, eight people wedged into her cockpit, upon the fair Tortuga, where Randy offered the always crowd-pleasing blueberry scones and coffee cake.

Name:  IMG_7230.JPG
Views: 767
Size:  269.3 KB

And last, but not least, here is Surprise! sailing like the beauty she is, across the south bay toward home.

Name:  Surprise! against SF Skyline 111719 - Copy.JPG
Views: 3852
Size:  337.8 KB

Seen Sunday morning aboard Circe: Tony Bourque and Mary Lovely were doing a fine job of playing "Hotel California" together on their ukuleles. Mary was on vocals and rumor has it that another person (perhaps Philpott?) joined in, though this person was said to be mostly out of tune because of insufficient coffee.

The Wildcat of Loch Awe crew (Joan and Alan) spent the morning doing a car/truck drop off at Serra Point so Joan could drive home after dinner.
    WOW, was the fog thick. We drove back down to Coyote Point, to find no wind and pea soup fog, which made the Wildcats first mate very nervous. So we did a little hour-long stroll through the bayside edges of Coyote Point park, to see multitudes of birds and have coffee, which cheered up the first mate quite a bit.

Around 2:00 the fog lifted, so by 2:30 we were on our way. On our way up, when the wind started poking up to 15 knots and the first mate was getting nervous. That was when the shackle holding the head of the jib to the upper unit of the roller furler let go (pretty sure due to lackaidaiscal work on the part of the skipper) and I rolled it up. We proceeded along under main alone....and remarkably well, actually....until the wind pooped out south of Oyster Point. The outboard got us in right behind Circe.

The trip home was a putt-putt the whole way to Coyote Point, but it was warm, at least!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Seen Sunday morning aboard Circe: Tony Bourque and Mary Lovely were doing a fine job of playing "Hotel California" together on their ukuleles. Mary was on vocals and rumor has it that another person (perhaps Philpott?) joined in, though this person was said to be mostly out of tune because of insufficient coffee.
    Ukes! Now the SSS is getting pretty classy.

It does take long after looking at the Moore 24 'galley' to know this a preferred group to raft up with (and eat better).

Ants

Thanks all, for the fun lunch and good company on Saturday!
    Name:  49ACC206-3D37-40F4-9200-94ED53A50CC2.jpeg
Views: 595
Size:  2.10 MB

It was so nice meeting everyone last weekend, I had such a good time and everyone in the club was so welcoming. Thanks!

Jackie, thanks for not posting that pic you took of me under sail with the fenders down 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
    Jackie, thanks for not posting that pic you took of me under sail with the fenders down 8-)
    So many unfamiliar faces, sailing a big new boat in dense fog ... you had suffered enough.

Name:  723EA06C-CD6D-4704-AB47-7F4AAB548384.jpeg
Views: 477
Size:  1.48 MB