Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Navigation backup alternatives

Default Electronic Navigation backup alternatives

Silver Alert, a Moore 24 is being outfitted for longer distances.

Charting is covered by paper charts (full info with no zooming - yeah), Garmin Gpsmaps 742xs with all the N2000 network connectivity, and a handheld Garmin. Sailing will be in US as well as Canada.

There othe additional digital devices that can be used as another backup, or as a standalone device on paddle craft. Here is what is available to use-

Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista
    Acer Chrome
    Fire 7 or Fire HD10

I have been uninvolved with any electronic navigation for the last 20 years. My question for the best alternative, if there is one, what are the general approaches to have an independent digital chart backup.

As an aside, even though the N2K systems are supposed to all be compatible, with all parts from one source (Garmin) there is only one call for system troubleshooting.

Thanks.

Ants

We on Stink Eye use an iPad with inavx installed. We also used an Android tablet running OpenCPN (until it broke) Waterproof cases can be bought for both.
    OpenCPN is free. inavx is around $50.
    https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ta...m-t560nzkuxar/
    https://opencpn.org
    http://inavx.com
    Last edited by Jonathan Gutoff; 05-21-2019 at 08:46 PM.

The Apple iPad can be an excellent low cost portable chart plotter. I have available at a reasonable price an Apple iPad2 (64MB, WiFi+ cellular model with built-in GPS) in Nuud (brand) waterproof case with charger and cables. Condition: Excellent, very clean, undamaged.

Can run navigation apps such as Navionics or iNavX which uses free charts from NOAA.
    Price: $99.95 (less than the price of the WP case)

Tom dot Patterson at Sonic dot Net

Im using inavx on my iPad and iPhone, and an app from mapitech on the phone.
    The cellular version of the iPad 2 has built in gps so I use it without a sim card or cell service. I bought it specifically for additional nav.
    The only drawback is the screens not working with wet hands. Especially troublesome coming into Hanalei on a dark rainy night.

When offshore ... You need maps locally. What do you guys do to have worldwide detailed and current charts?
    Outside of buying charts from Navionics I'm not aware of something else ....

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    When offshore ... You need maps locally. What do you guys do to have worldwide detailed and current charts?
    Outside of buying charts from Navionics I'm not aware of something else ....
    This is the great thing about OpenCPN. You can download the local charts for the region of interest. No cost.

Thanks for comments. It seems the best option may be to replace or update my iPad or MacBook Pro and forget about the non-Apple options. The non-Apple stuff was free, but free does not always give the best overall solution.

Dazzler, I will send an email.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    This is the great thing about OpenCPN. You can download the local charts for the region of interest. No cost.
    Can you elaborate? Current charts are not all free ...

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...:chart_sources

For example: Torres Strait?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Can you elaborate? Current charts are not all free ...

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...:chart_sources

For example: Torres Strait?
    Well, to elaborate on this I first had to ask Google "where is Torres Strait?" I wasn't even thinking about the whole world even though that's what your question had asked. I stand corrected, PJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Well, to elaborate on this I first had to ask Google "where is Torres Strait?" I wasn't even thinking about the whole world even though that's what your question had asked. I stand corrected, PJ.
    I haven't found raster charts for the whole world yet, but . . .

Name:  Torres Strait.png
Views: 1557
Size:  523.6 KB

The equivalent agency to NOAA in either Australia or New Zealand has most of Oceania. I don't remember where I found these, but they were definitely free.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32