Thread: Another Dura Mater Question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Another Dura Mater Question

I have a Dura Mater folder here on my laptop, and many other folders therein, such as: Rudder, Electronics, Engine, Fuel Tank, Rigging, hardware, Bilge pump, etc etc. Those of you who own older boats probably have the same folders either on your laptops or in piles of paper. I used to also have a folder of receipts, but I deleted that long ago. You know why.

Anyway, today I created a new folder: Radio. But maybe someone out there in SSSVille has had a similar experience to mine.

In 2014 I bought a Standard Horizon GX200 Matrix fixed radio with AIS. Yes, I know that a lot of people have that radio. It’s been a good radio, and until May 11 of this year it worked great. Then it didn’t and Jim Vickers almost sent the Coasties out to collect me when I didn’t need collecting. He didn’t know that, of course, and luckily I also had my handheld Standard Horizon HX870 with GPS and DSC. Because I am (somewhat) obedient regarding rules and regulations. So I tried to call in on that radio, and somewhere between the Lightship and Point Bonita Vessel Traffic relayed the message as per my request and Jim calmed down. Thank you again, Jim and Jen, for waiting up.

Here’s the issue: When I try to transmit the message LO BATTERY shows up. When I try to talk the screen goes blank. I dug around and found the digital doohickey that Carliane gave me years ago, crawled into DM’s starboard lazarette and touched the black wand to the black side of that battery, then the red wand to the red side, and it read: 14.2; did the same thing over on the port side and it read 13.8. Then I crawled out and felt all sweaty and irritable and made a cup of bad coffee. What did these numbers mean, anyway? Well, after trolling through all the technical verbiage that I couldn’t understand, I think those numbers are good. I think the batteries, which are brand new, are in good shape. Huh.

Have I called Standard Horizon yet? Well, yes of course I have, but nobody answers. Then I called Star Marine, where I bought the radio, and Ian will get back to me. He’s busy right now.

In the meantime, should I really climb the mast or replace my inverter? I don’t think DM has an inverter, or at least nothing reads “Inverter” down there. I don’t mind climbing the mast. That’s kindof fun and would lead to a “High in Richmond” video, but I will wait for the rain to stop before I do that. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-21-2019 at 09:58 AM.