Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Polars Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    The SSS hasn't given the Olson 30 a rating "break", ever. The SHTP has nothing to do with a 37sec/mile rating drop in a boats rating. The PHRF doesn't take into account these races. Your issue is with NorCal PHRF issued rating which changed for some reason other than a single performance in a Singlehanded offshore distance race.
    Really? How do you know this? There were no other Spencer 35’s racing in NCPHRF at the time that I’m aware of

I bought Double Espresso with a current PHRF certificate of 99, which I had transferred to me. I reached out to NorCal to let them know that I was going to sail without my outboard and asked for an updated certificate. The rating didn't change. After doing a bit of math I figured that leaving with a #1 was not worth it either (the conditions where a #1 would help for an O30 vs the gain of a higher rating were very unlikely). So I reached out again and requested a new certificate, which bumped the rating to 102. I had the #1 shipped for the buyers.

I think your real question is why Bill Stange's rating was 96, which you should probably ask NorCal or Bill. I personally don't know.

Theoretical question: what should the rating of Double Espresso have been so that it would have finished second?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Theoretical question: what should the rating of Double Espresso have been so that it would have finished second?
    Exactly.

I commented earlier about the Can doing well under ToT in the OYRA races. I sat down and computed how much of a rating hit it would take for them to finish second in a Drake's Bay race, and it was something like 81 sec/mile.

Arguing about PHRF ratings is usually a fool's errand. (Though solosailor's issues sound legit.)
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-03-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Excellent question, Mr Excellent Tactician. More importantly than ratings are the times when you arrive in Hanalei Bay. Can't you all get organized in order to delay your arrivals so the race committee doesn't have to swim out to the rickety little chase boat in the middle of the night? Fussing about PHRF ratings while more important issues are ignored. Huh.

Seriously, though, I am waiting for someone with a calculator to respond. Shall we ask Ray? I've asked Ray.
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-03-2019 at 01:28 PM.

I bought Double Espresso with a current PHRF certificate of 99, which I had transferred to me. I reached out to NorCal to let them know that I was going to sail without my outboard and asked for an updated certificate. The rating didn't change. After doing a bit of math I figured that leaving with a #1 was not worth it either (the conditions where a #1 would help for an O30 vs the gain of a higher rating were very unlikely). So I reached out again and requested a new certificate, which bumped the rating to 102. I had the #1 shipped for the buyers.

I think your real question is why Bill Stange's rating was 96, which you should probably ask NorCal or Bill. I personally don't know.

Thanks for making my point! Great effort BTW

"Fools errand" is correct. In 2018 SHTP DOUBLE EXPRESSO would have been second by ~ 6+ hours had not the leader (and ultimate second place) broken and spent considerable time hove to, going slowly, and off course. The answer to the theoretical question is SHTP rating doesn't matter if a competitor can't finish, or finish in one piece. Had there been no breakage, the "theoretical question" would have been about the rating of a 30 footer of different design. Congrats to PJ for keeping it together.
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-05-2019 at 10:11 AM.