Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: R2ak 2019

Come on OLD FART - enough with the beauty sleep. The competition is half way across the strait!

Update: Only 4 miles to go but down to 1.3 knots - that's not enough to make the 1700 cutoff. Go the OLD FART!
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-04-2019 at 02:02 PM.

So here is a view of the fleet from the fifth floor of the Empress Hotel, overlooking the Vancouver inner harbor.

Name:  IMG-5563 (1).JPG
Views: 1276
Size:  310.6 KB

I called up the concierge, Wendy, and asked if Wifi costs extra. She said, "yes, shall I walk you through the process of connecting?" Well, I already had the code for the wifi available to the sailors down in the harbor, but it wasn't good enough this high up ;-) So I said, "No, I just wanted to know if it cost extra. I can go sit on one of the boats downstairs and use it for free."

Wendy didn't miss a beat.
    "Here's a complimentary code. Let me walk you through that." Now that's what I call customer service. There's a biplane landing on the water, delivering someone to the hotel. Nathalie is coming upstairs to use the shower. Lots of big fluffy towels on the Fifth Floor. She texted: "Will they let me in wearing my gear?" haha. This ain't the St Fancy. Of course they'll let her in. They let me in, didn't they?
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-05-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Bob, I see a tiny little boat coming this way. Maybe your friends? What does the tracker say?

Here are the McGuffin Brothers Racing on their J24. You can read all about them on the R2AK site. They've been here and done this before. Lovely smiles, eh? They remind me of a pack of wolf pups.

Name:  McGuffin Brothers final.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  317.7 KB

and in the distance now I see two tiny boats entering the harbor, just as a vastly huge vessel heads toward them with the ability to crush their tiny hulls...
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-04-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Bob, I see a tiny little boat coming this way. Maybe your friends? What does the tracker say?
    That's team BACKWARDS AF. Team FUNKY DORY is just around the corner - they'll be the last ones in before the cutoff.

The tracker says team OLD FART is on shore again, 4 miles away. Maybe his misc. Hobie parts came apart. Bummer.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-04-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    That's team BACKWARDS AF. Team FUNKY DORY is just around the corner - they'll be the last ones in before the cutoff.
    They've been stuck at the entrance for awhile now. Must be the ebb.

My aren't you staying in the fancy digs! You should sleep in one of the kayaks to get the full-orbed experience of it all.

Say hey to Nat, for all of us couch potatoes and working stiffs.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-04-2019 at 03:36 PM.

I've got video of two singlehanders in this race: Shawn Dunand, who is the #1 salesman in Canada of boats 35' - 180'.

Name:  Shawn's boat 3.JPG
Views: 1969
Size:  334.9 KB

He is VERY pleasant and if I ever buy a boat bigger than Dura Mater I'll come up this way to buy it from him. He is also the skipper of a Malcolm Tennant Streaker. What's that? It's a 24' multihull and its hull got cracked coming up from Port Townsend. Here are friends standing at the aft port corner while he tries to see what needs doing.
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-05-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Here is Victoria Harbor as darkness falls. Lots of people sleeping on their boats, most of the lights out already as far as I can see from here.

Name:  night Vancouver.jpg
Views: 2640
Size:  1.28 MB

Tomorrow is the last day to tweak the boats before the big push off to Ketchikan.

The lights are out because they're all at the Racer Party, down the street and around the corner at the Presbyterian church:

Name:  Racer Party.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  100.1 KB

These are SAILORS after all!

"7pm dinner is $35 for non-racers. 8pm party is free for all. Get to the church on time!"
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-04-2019 at 10:04 PM.