Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: R2ak 2019

Nat,
    Very well done! Congratulations on your very well managed campaign.
    Where is ENVOLEE? It looks like she’s cruising south? What’s the plan, and what’s next?

Tom

It was a team effort really - the Millennials put a lot of effort in the design and making of the drive and Millennial Two (Neil) spent a lot of time preparing the race as our navigator and it showed.

They are now rewarding themselves with a cruise in the Pacific Northwest and will then sail the boat South. Our nightmare experience with shipping companies had us change our plans...

We plan on doing the Transpac in 2021 - for next year, our main trimmer suggested the Puerto Vallarta race which might allow me to do some single-handed offshore races with PSSA as well and we would love to do the California Offshore week as prep for Transpac (or perhaps short handed for fun...)

I miss single-handing though - I think that the Figaro will be great for SHTP so that's in the cards, with probably a Long Pac as qualifier. And I would love to pit Envolée against a Figaro 3 in a race to Japan perhaps double-handed. Or any other crazy idea or adventures you can think of...

This video of Nathalie is unedited. She needed it fast for a docu-drama about Shut up and Drive. A study of bicycling millennials and an orange-fast boat. I videotaped her with my Iphone SE in Victoria, before the big push to Ketchikan. Skip had a question for her and since he wasn't there I started the video by asking it for him.

https://vimeo.com/345193212

Nathalie,

Great video: editing, sound etc. I did not follow the race closely in real time and I am now catching up via YouTube. Completely crazy shit.

Tom

Great videos!
    Last edited by jamottep; 07-23-2019 at 09:24 PM.

On Friday September 6 the new R2AK changes will be announced. From No Rules to Some Rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    On Friday September 6 the new R2AK changes will be announced. From No Rules to Some Rules?
    My speculation is that the prize will be distributed to various finishers instead of just to the 1st to finish.

In the Seventy48 race, $100 from each entry went into the first to finish pot. In the inaugural race, the winner took home more than $12k. In year two, the prize money was divvied up in 4 or 5 categories.

There may be some tweaks in rules to encourage more participation in craft other than fast multihulls or monohulls.

Of course, I don't channel the folks at NWMC, but everything else seems on solid footing. From what I can guess by looking at the sponsor list, the budget is well over $100k, volunteers are still stepping up, and the NWMC benefits (profits) from the R2AK.

Time will tell.

Ants

Put this on your calendar. You're gonna love it. As part of its Speaker Series Richmond Yacht Club will present the World Premiere of the Film:

NAT AND THE SEVEN DUDES: Race to Alaska 2019 - To the Bitter End.

Nathalie Criou has arranged for her entire crew to be there. All "the Millennials" will be there in their cute orange shirts. One is a bicycle messenger from New York. Which borough? Nathalie isn't sure: "Not sure if it is a borough or the burbs."

7:30 - 9:30 pm Monday October 7. Yes, it’s a school night. Ask your parents if you can stay out late just this once.
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-06-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Last edited by Philpott; 09-10-2019 at 05:49 PM.