Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: R2ak 2019

Thanks for the play by play Dura Mater.
    Are you heading to Victoria for the follow up?
    Did their tracker stop working or High Sea Drifters turn back?

Not unexpectedly, TEAM PEAR SHAPED has led the fleet into Victoria. Nathalie and crew are making an excellent showing, and looking to finish 5th boat for boat (2nd mono-hull) in Victoria. Entering Victoria Inner Harbor ENVOLEE is sure to have their 4 bicyclists pedaling full tilt for the finish bell. The finish is at the dock behind the flag pole at this live webcam view of Victoria. https://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/about/ex...hannel/web-cam The fleet will be tying up on the docks to the right, in front of the Empress Hotel.

PHILPOT will be crossing to Victoria tomorrow, Tuesday, for a full dockside report.
    PT WATERCRAFT should be finishing second about 9:25 a.m. PDST
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-03-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Thanks for the play by play Dura Mater.
    Are you heading to Victoria for the follow up?
    Did their tracker stop working or High Sea Drifters turn back?
    Oh no no, Greg! They were right there at the start w the other cool kids. Maybe sailing under the radar?

Meantime my sentimental favorite, OLD FART IN A WINDSTORM, is around Point Wilson and is making 2.3 knots, like a boss.

The Inner Harbor webcam is over subscribed with fans. Here's Ogden Point web cam, one mile from the Finish. http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=10 It's blowing 18-25 knots from the southwest, and the ANGRY BEAVERS just blasted by, keel canted to East Jesus.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-03-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Love the play by play! Seriously makes me want to be there next year. Go Natalie and Shad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Love the play by play! Seriously makes me want to be there next year.
    This is the last R2AK in the current format. No announcement yet if there will be another, and what the change in format may be in they decide to continue.

Well, well. Not just a random boy, but an articulate one who knows his way around a boat. With two friends who trusted him. Here’s his TED talk:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...M=VIRE&PC=APPL
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-03-2019 at 07:41 PM.

A minor correction on Team Pear Shaped Racing: The boat is of Canadian registry. It is owned and sailed by Duncan Gladman, a Canadian and a great guy to talk over a beer with. It was purchased in NZ and then brought to Victoria where modifications were made to upgrade the aspects of the boat. Duncan and I went out for a spin to tune up the autopilot. In 18 to 20 knots of breeze we were scooting around the bay near Sydney BC at 25 knots at a TWA of about 120 deg. With the TWA at about 60 degrees we were hitting about 12 to 15 in similar winds. Jacky you should plot those two data points on the polar plot for your yacht as a reference.

Thanks, Brian. Yes, I will have my tactician run those numbers. Those fellas were very nice. I introduced myself And watched them tweaking and adjusting everything over and over. Complete familiarity w your boat is part of what you need to win. Great showing. :-). Lots of R2AK hats and tshirts on the 8:15 am Coho ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria. There sure are alot of trees up here. And big sky to rival Montana. Which reminds me that Kallie will be driving Shad’s truck up from Port Townsend to Ketchikan, so I’ll ( unfortunately) miss her. Which is a loss because she lights up a room. Oh well.